• Replies 56
  • Views 6K
I picked up a brand new one yesterday as a spare! :D

As you can see, Stihl is clearly above and beyond Husky. :P

Attachments

• pics8 008.jpg
    pics8 008.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 16
I wouldn't recommend those to anybody who doesn't want to one day be able to write a book about surgery on them. It's a terrible saw to work on.
I would not expect anything to be different from the 335 which is also bear to wrench .

Most bumble bees,old Homeys,old Mini Macs and the original 020 Stihl top handle are a beech to wrench .The 020 and 200T's are not bad at all . .

I didn't like the shut off switch on the old Dolmar, I don't know if it's changed, but it used to be a toggle switch you could easily hit with a knuckle.
The 338xpt Cali. is supposed to mod out fairly equal to a 200t. I don't know.
The reason the 200t is as good as it is is it's a factory ported saw from the get go. There are gains to be made, but not without a lot of work, as Al knows. Husky has their hands full trying to play catch up with that saw.
Tanaka is supposed to be coming out with a new one, but they didn't seem to want to listen to anyone who actually uses it, so it will be light, very ergonomic, but underpowered. Go figure:roll:

Displacement is important....but it doesn't tell all. I have a Solo 637-A 40cc climbing saw with very light weight and good balalnce........it performs well but will not match a 200T. It doesn't turn as many rpms in or out of the wood

It works good for you Stumpie?

I can't find a piture of the left side to see if they have fixed the kill switch! It felt good and ran decent, but like I said that switch was in a really bad place.

The reason the 200t is as good as it is is it's a factory ported saw from the get go. There are gains to be made, but not without a lot of work, as Al knows.
What pepping up the 200? It really wasn't that big of a deal . I could have cranked some more out of it if I wanted to make a cookie cutter instead of a hopped up little work saw .

Neat little saws,stock or souped up .:D

Balance of torque and speed with the CCs. The gyro effect also of the 200t helps the balance of the saw IMHO. Never felt a gyro in any other top handle like that.

I picked up a brand new one yesterday as a spare! :D

As you can see, Stihl is clearly above and beyond Husky. :P

Brett, you let them put safety chain on your saw? I won't let my dealer do that to me when I buy one.

Jay- to answer your question, they also publish rated horsepower figures. Unfortunately, horsepower doesn't cut as much wood as torque. It's really a combination of horsepower and torque that makes or breaks a saw. But again, that's not always easy to see in the specs.

If you want to know what works, look at what the pros use. And test run when you can, nothing will tell you more than putting the bar and chain to the wood.

So, two saws with the same displacement can have a different horsepower rating? I'm guessing that would be a factor of the engine design efficiency, and amount of compression generated (torque?), also affected by the amount off fuel sent in by the carb.

Brett, you let them put safety chain on your saw? I won't let my dealer do that to me when I buy one.

Dang it! I didn't even notice. :|: I was too busy yakkin it up with the owner's wife and daughter while the "tech guy" put the saw together. :/: I just stuck it in the truck and left without even looking at it. Oh well, guess I'll take it back next week to fix it.

Some dealers, safety chain is all they carry. I thing generally the ones who moved up from selling lawnmowers.

I personally like pulling a saw off the shelf and going in the back and saying... "Please take the safety chain off and put some real chain on this saw for me please" :D

The kid who put the saw together didn't know any better. I should have checked it. No problem, I haven't used it yet.

Oh, and perhaps you might pull off all those yellow stickers? I can't stand them, and I certainly don't need a warning sticker to show me how to remove the gas cap (in case I forget) and two more stickers in English and Spanish telling me to read the manual before using the saw. :roll:

The stickers don't bother. In fact, until you posted something about them a while back, I hadn't even noticed them. :|:

My dislike for them became acute after putting new windows in my house. I spent extra to buy windows with nice, attractive white frames and cleaned them up real nice. Every window had 7 different stickers and every screen had 3, one of which I never could find any chemical that would remove all the glue. So after spending a couple thousand dollars on new windows, I never once got to see them all cleaned up without any blemishes. It's been 6-7 years and I still cannot remove that sticker adhesive. I've damaged a couple screen frames with solvents and/or scraping with a razor blade though.

The sticker was a big ugly thing in English and Spanish warning me not to allow children to fall out the window. :roll:

Judging by those work pictures you posted recently, I'd replace those yellow ones with this sticker:

Attachments

• 035473.jpg
    035473.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 88
Steve, I like the 637. It is worth the $300.....But it isn't a 200T.

BTW, Is someone here a Solo dealer? I need a new rewind spool and starter dog for the 637.

Justin, you can order parts directly from the Solo website if you can't find a dealer. I had a Solo once (for about a month) and had to get parts that way.

Back