How I spent my Sunday afternoon

• Thread starter BostonBull
  • Start date
  • Replies 44
  • Views 5K
B

BostonBull

We got a call about 1 p.m. from a local guy saying he had made a cut from the top of a 30' extension ladder and it pinched his saw. He said the tree is leaning towards my house......IM SCREWED! We got it down in 2 picks. Took longer to setup the crane than to do the tree. We put the two picks on the ground for the homeowner and got out of there with a check.

Attachments

• DSC02785.JPG
    DSC02785.JPG
    873.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02786.JPG
    DSC02786.JPG
    882.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02787.JPG
    DSC02787.JPG
    850.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC02788.JPG
    DSC02788.JPG
    907.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good thing he was smart enough to use the infamous 'slanted back cut', as it probably saved his house. :lol:

Whats the deal with this anyways? Who teaches someone this? I asked him and he said his buddy said it prevents the tree from going over backwards, see it worked! I said no your thick hingewood and saw is all that saved you!

Worse part is it wasnt the homeowner (a local cop) cutting.....it was his buddy from the city (also a cop!) Hahahaha!

Nice toe-nail in the notch, too.

I hope you charged him dearly- he deserved it.

Nice toe-nail in the notch, too.

I hope you charged him dearly- he deserved it.

He dragged me and the owner away from our families on a Sunday afternoon, he was charged accordingly

BB, was there room to have just notched the whole thing at the bottom in the first place? Instead of 30 feet up?

BB, was there room to have just notched the whole thing at the bottom in the first place? Instead of 30 feet up?

No, and it would have been a worse situation with all the back lean and the codom stems.

Just to give you an idea of the size of the tree. I cut right where his "notch" was. The top weighed 5500lbs and was about 50-55' in length.

So you're saying there wasn't enough land to flop the whole tree.

Codom stems don't mean much in the way of a flop.

So you're saying there wasn't enough land to flop the whole tree.

Codom stems don't mean much in the way of a flop.

Not even close, the site was maybe 50' wide. And yes codoms mean alot when BOTH fat codoms are leaning backwards. the Butt pick was around 4500lbs, 30-36" DBH.

And yes codoms mean alot when BOTH fat codoms are leaning backwards.

Not when you've been doing it as long as I have. ;)

Looks like ya did a good job. Nobody hurt ('cept someone's pride), house intact. 8)

Let's pretend the top did go the way he wanted to.

Do you think the butt would have kicked back at him and killed him?

Let's pretend the top did go the way he wanted to.

Do you think the butt would have kicked back at him and killed him?

Absolutely. When we arrived on site the ladder was still up, on the front!! of the tree!

Pretty likely, I'd say. That hinge would have torn pretty early.

By the way... was that a brand new Stihl? Looks like he might have gotten it yesterday....

By the way... was that a brand new Stihl? Looks like he might have gotten it yesterday....

Brand new 361. he bought it from one of our competitors last week or so.

He got the other side down though, right?

Yes. Judging by the growth on the lead we took down, the lead he took out had all the growth going into the area where it was to be felled.

He got the other side down though, right?

I'm sure he shyt himself after a near miss too!:pottytrain2:

Was there rot in the first leader he cut? The whiteness in the wood kind of looks that way. Or, are my eyes just playing tricks on me:?

Thats pitch running from the cambium layer that had time to oxidize. Looks like he cut that one down a few weeks ago, maybe a month?

Back