Homelite Zip (another freebie)

GASoline71

'cause chicks dig scars
An old Homelite Zip, in very, very good condition followed me home recently. The pics you see were all from just a brief wipe down and a shot of compressed air. Cleaned up really nice.

It has the original bar on it, which is in excellent shape (bonus!). Not sure about the chain size but I think it is 7/16th. The chain on it is brand new and looks to have never never been filed or cut with. The clutch sprocket shows hardly any wear.

The story goes... the lady I got it from said it was her father's. It was bought brand new in the 60's, and was used for about 8 years to cut about 5 cords of fire wood a year. It was never used again because her father suffered a serious stroke and was not able to cut wood with it anymore. Then it just sat around. So about 20 years later it ended up with the gal i got it from. Her father gave it to her husband. Well she has had the saw ever since sitting in her barn. She and her husband had divorced and the saw just stayed with her unused.

So this thing has been sitting around since the 70's unused. It has a nice big fat blue spark, and good compression. There is some carbon buildup in the exhaust port... but that is expected for a saw this old with the oil it was ran with back then. The handle bar is bent, but no big deal.

Needs a muffler screen, a carby rebuild, and a fuel filter and it should fire right up... ,

Eric (RaisedByWolves) is helping me find some parts for the old girl. Thanks Eric! I love these big old noisy Homelite's!!!

Gary

Attachments

• Homelite Zip 001.jpg
    Homelite Zip 001.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 15
  • Homelite Zip 002.jpg
    Homelite Zip 002.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Homelite Zip 003.jpg
    Homelite Zip 003.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Homelite Zip 004.jpg
    Homelite Zip 004.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 13
They must have made a zillion of them because I have one too.Actually they aren't as heavy as they look .

18.7 pounds from what I can see which would be around 25 or so with the bar on it.

Attachments

• Port designs 009.jpg
    Port designs 009.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Al... you still runnin' stock 7/16" chain? That stuff is like hens teeth.

Or did you convert it over to .404 or somethin'?

Gary

SWEET! Gary that is one clean saw, you lucky dawg. Makes a feller wonder just how many of these are just setting around waiting for a good home.

It sure is Mike... It is a very clean saw for it's age.

Well I got it to fire off today. It won't stay runnin' though. Like I said earlier. It needs a carby rebuild. I'm sure the old diaphrams in that thing are hard as a rock.

Plus a new filter wouldn't hurt either.

I'll keep ya posted. :)

Gary

Cool! let me know if you need me to get the carb kit number for ya. Yes please let me know how you are coming along with it.

This one shouldn't be too bad. This saw is in the best shape of any old saw I have found.

I do need an air filter for it though... I don't think Eric had any. It is a round cylinder style.

Here are a couple of pics...

Gary

Attachments

• Homelite Zip Air Filter 002.jpg
    Homelite Zip Air Filter 002.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Homelite Zip Air Filter 001.jpg
    Homelite Zip Air Filter 001.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 4
Everybody has sour cream in their shop right? LOL... :lol::lol:

Anyways, I keep all the plastic sour cream, chip dip, ice cream, and salsa tubs to put small parts in. They really come in handy when workin' on saws to put all the fasteners in.

The sour cream ones are good during carb rebuilds... big enough for the carb and all it's parts... but small enough to not take up too much room in the shop.

I use the plastic ice cream tubs for when I rebuild carbs on my vars and trucks...

Just a handy shop tip for ya! :)

Gary

Everybody has sour cream in their shop right? LOL... :lol::lol:

Anyways, I keep all the plastic sour cream, chip dip, ice cream, and salsa tubs to put small parts in. They really come in handy when workin' on saws to put all the fasteners in.

The sour cream ones are good during carb rebuilds... big enough for the carb and all it's parts... but small enough to not take up too much room in the shop.

I use the plastic ice cream tubs for when I rebuild carbs on my vars and trucks...

Just a handy shop tip for ya! :)

Gary

Or just steal baggies and containers from work like I...er um, some people do......:/:

Al... you still runnin' stock 7/16" chain? That stuff is like hens teeth.

Or did you convert it over to .404 or somethin'?

Gary
It has the original 7/16 chain,about half gone I suppose.As of yet I have not even started the old boat since I got it.Too many irons in the fire.

Measure that filter,you might be able to cross reference one from Mc Master -Carr as they use that type on some pneumatic systems .

Homelite Zip and Zip-6 etc were sold by huge numbers.

Many are converted to .404, but yours Gary I belive is original.

Split the airfilter and replace the paper with canvas/strong tight clothing.
Works well unless you go pro with this for 6 months or so..
Cut a couple of the so you can change if you need to.

Just razzin you Gary, got a part # for the big dogs you put on your 361?

Gary, take that filter to a baldwin dealer....they have 100's of filters, they may have somethng close for that boat anchor:D

Just razzin you Gary, got a part # for the big dogs you put on your 361?

I know ya were Rob. :) But I use a lot of containers in my garage/shop.

I used to have some 660 dogs I got from Jeff (killsfishwithwood) on the 361. But I put a smaller set on that I like mucho better. They aren't huge fallin' dogs... but they are bigger than the stock single POS that the saw comes with. It has the ceramic roller with it too...

Comes with inner and outer dogs, the ceramic roller, and all the mounting hardware. You will have to drill 2 holes in your clutch cover. But there are 2 bosses already cast into the cover for the holes, and the directions tell you what size drill to use. EZ-PZ...

Stihl part number is: 1135 650 7750

Here is a pic of them on the saw, and a couple pics of the instructions...

Gary

Attachments

• MS361 011.jpg
    MS361 011.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2
  • MS361 Dawg Inst.jpg
    MS361 Dawg Inst.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 4
  • MS361 Dawg Inst 003.jpg
    MS361 Dawg Inst 003.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3
My friend's Dad had one of those. When my Dad bought a place that was lined with about 100 huge walnut trees he wanted to remove them and my friend's Dad came out to salvage some of the black walnut wood he brought that beast with him. I was 12 years old or so and that saw was pretty impressive.

Back