Home made pressure tester

I have seen some devices that can function as both a pressure tester and vacuum tester. Snap-on makes one I believe.

:lol: I need to make a video of a seal on the end of a drywall screw with a pair of pliers holding the redneck set up, GIT-R-DONE. :D

Is it me or was that flywheel seal leaking?? That soapy water sure looked like it was bubbling to me.

I'd like to see your redneck set-up Cut, although it sounds very similar to what Al Smith has described a few times over the years.

I did saw maintence over the weekend and looks like I'll be pulling some seals in the near future.

I'm like Al I too have a pressure/ vacuum kit but hardly ever used it . Mine is a Stihl unit I bought from a Stihl dealer buddy years ago [one of the best you could buy for saws], carb/crankcase tester part# 1106 850 2905 and the vacuum pump part # 0000 850 3500.
Carb flange part# 1118 850 4200 and exhaust plate part # 0000 855 8105 fits most of the saws I ever owned.

I built a redneck pressure tester once by connecting my air compressor hose to the end of the tester hose where the bulb goes. With the compressor's regulator set at 7 psi I didn't have to monkey with the bulb and got a long constant pressure test on the saw enabling me to have a better hunt for a leak.

I'd like to see your redneck set-up Cut, although it sounds very similar to what Al Smith has described a few times over the years.
I thought I had a picture of that method already .Well here it is ,seal with a drywall screw stuck in it .I can't remember what saw it is ,either 038 or 048 by the looks of the oil pump .

Attachments

• Seals 001.jpg
    Seals 001.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Seals 002.jpg
    Seals 002.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 95
I would bet that is that souped up 38, Al. I don't remember you ever mentioning a 48. That method works slick on the clutch side. Any pointers for the flywheel side where the seal is much smaller.

I was at the dealer the other day and inquired about a fancy seal puller. They would sell me one but Sthil has about 5 different ones depending on which saw you have. Talk about over complicating things not to mention they are $50 to $60 bucks

You don't need a compressor, it does not take a hole lot of pressure...

I use mine a lot. Every time I rebuild a carb. Saves a lot of aggression and frustration.
When setting main inlet needle I always use pressure and when done, I stick it in a cup of fuel to see if there is any more problems.

You don't need a compressor, it does not take a hole lot of pressure...

I use mine a lot. Every time I rebuild a carb. Saves a lot of aggression and frustration.
When setting main inlet needle I always use pressure and when done, I stick it in a cup of fuel to see if there is any more problems.

what exactly do you mean magnus by 'when setting main inlet needle' ? also do you use pop off pressure for any diagnostic purpose?

thanks

mike

I think the subject got lost in translation or something .Generally when the subject of a pressure tester they are refering to a low pressure device such as a squeeze bulb not an air compressor .

Now as far as setting the pop off pressure on a carb that's a different subject all together than trying to detect a crankcase leak .For that matter almost nobody does that unless it's a race carb type situation .

Back