hitchclimber

Agreed. Not great...but I liked it.

different topic- but why is biner-biner frowned upon, but biner to the little friction hitch rings (that people put on their bridges) is okay?

love
nick

Good question!

My guess would be because of the possiblity of crossloading.

To do so would require you to open the hitch-biner. The reason I was doing it this way was that the hitch biner was never opened- I never needed to lanyard in to adjust the system.

love
nick

If you can get picture up it would be great for a rookie with a limited imaganation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To do so would require you to open the hitch-biner. The reason I was doing it this way was that the hitch biner was never opened- I never needed to lanyard in to adjust the system.

love
nick

I get it now.

I toyed with a microscender and a length of prussic cord as an adjustable linc but found it to be too much gear.

The best way to really appreciate the M-system and the hitch climber is to get up in a tree with a big wide flat top. Also, if you can reduce the friction, it's way nicer too. That's my big complaint... when there's alot of friction, it's a HUGE pain to move around cause you end up pulling alot of rope when you're moving back up.

steal it again and flip it, and lighten it!

Attachments

• climb.JPG
    climb.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 3
OTGBOSTON,, I haven't thought about the DropKick Murphys in quite some time--- seen it on your wall in the background!

Just got my HitchClimber today! I'm so excited to go out and use it, but I'm sure I'll get plenty of opportunities to do so soon.
I'm now going to have to sit and think up new ways to confuse myself with all the new possibilities this opens up!](*,)

I got mine (I think from tophopper as a trade...I don't remember exactly) and it gets regular use. I don't use it on every tree, but I keep it close by, in case I'm feeling frisky.

Two Tie In Points, one rope, one friction hitch. http://www.treemagineers.com/downloads/hitch_climbers_guide.pdf

In these photos, I'm using the wiregate Revolver carabiner for the pulley. Just trying that configuration. I normally use a locking krab and micro pulley.

The M redirect is a pretty fancy piece of rigging. I have always liked the looks of it because it is clean. However, you do need to be aware of the ramifications of the above statement: "Two tie in points, one rope, one friction hitch."

If in use you are down in a work position, 20 ft from each TIP, and either one of them were to fail you have a LONG drop. There are four lines coming from the hitch climber, if any one of those are cut, you are going for a fall.

With a traditional redirect, whether tail-tied from your own rope or use a second rope, there is a redundancy; if one fails, you are still tied in.

There have been a rash of accidents lately involving TIPs. When using redirects, we generally use them high in the canopy or out on a precarious limb. And being a redirect it is not only experiencing direct load but side load as well.

So be careful.

Dave

Just practicing the video posting skills,, for the sake of everyone here, I finally got it!...:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ydt-hUT6aGE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ydt-hUT6aGE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
New twist on an old theme. I've seen this done with a ropeman, and an extra 'biner.
I just added a slipknot, and ran the spliced end of my rope through my swivel..

Attachments

• IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 76
Back