Hiking the AT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My bed and house go with me as well. A good air pad and Quality sleeping bag. Might as well be home to me.

I used to travel light, winter ski tour up to a week. Bivy under the stars or in a snowcave is goodtimes...........when I was younger.

The problem as I see it ain't the sleeping. It's the traipsing over root, rock and mud for every day for 2,000 miles.

Going to do an overnighter sat night. And then a 3 day trek next weekend.

Looking forward to fall camping and hiking. Starting somewhere on the AT late this year. Maybe into some snow camping.

When I worked for the Forest Service, we used to maintain 111 miles of the PCT. That was always the best 2 weeks of the summer because we got to meet all the folks who had made it all the way from Mexico. By the time they got to the Naches Ranger District, they were on the home stretch. It was cool to sit around a campfire at night with folks we met on the trail who had been walking for 5 months. Most of them were half starved for a high protein meal and good conversation. The neatest ones were the 70+ year olds who were taking their time and didn't care if they died tomorrow because they were already in heaven.

Lol, my buddy took his time a bit and finished in plenty of snow getting back into BC. He hitched a ride on the back of another buddies motorcycle with his pack on and rode to Mexico like that to start. :lol:

Holy shyte! After a motorcyle trip like that, I bet the walk north seemed like a breeze! I hear the party down in Mexico when everybody starts is not to be missed. They say the reason it starts so far south is so you have time to get over your hangover before reaching the Sierra Nevadas.

These guys are intense.

Cutting the head off a toothbrush to save weight!

Got the "Beyond Backpacking" book by Jardine a few yars ago.

IMO the best info. for any outing.

Rode the bike from San Jose to Yosemite with 8 lbs. of gear comfortably.

Good times.:D

LAst weekend me and a buddy hiked from Springer mtn, Ga to woody gap, Ga
only 20 miles but we did it in a day and a half and we were the slower hikers in the group we kept criss crossing.

Beautiful weather and awesome backcountry. The shelters where hella cool.

SO I started the AT

Right on, I'm planning on going a few more times during the summer, and maybe a winter hike or 2. Trying to get in about 150 miles before the end of the year.

Lighter pack next time, There was a lot of stuff that I never even pulled out.

Attachments

• DSCN1925.JPG
    DSCN1925.JPG
    772.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1982.JPG
    DSCN1982.JPG
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 3
Great pic, arborworks1, looking over that outlook. What an astoundingly beautiful part of the trail it is down toward the southern terminus. Too bad the azaleas and Rhodies have gone by!

It would be cool to hike some portion of the Appalachian Trail. I've hiked portions of the Pacific Crest Trail and enjoyed it. We live in a pretty country.

You most certainly do!!!!
Frigging gourgeous, it is.
I'm really looking forward to getting back in august:

Cool pics arborworks, looks like some nice country to hike.

It would be a great trek no doubt .I however prefer to drive and stay in the Holliday Inn myself .One mans poison is another mans meat though .

Going back the weekend of the 25th for a 3 day trek. Hopefully will get 30 miles this time. I would love to finish out the 76 miles in ga and get about 50 miles into nc by the end of the year.

I've heard that "I'm going to go hike the Appalachian Trail" is just a euphemism for I'm having an affair in latin America.

Back