Hey, I'm an Arborist Technician now!

canadiantreeman

TreeHouser
Maybe not threadworthy, but I took a pilot exam earlier in the year and passed. Went in there with a pretty vague idea of what kind of material the test would cover and somehow managed to get an 80% when the min. pass was 70%. Not bad for a bumpkin. The exam was the culmination of a long process which a lot of talented and hardworking folks dedicated time and energy to, Paul B being one of them. So, as of Friday, BC has trade recognition for us arbo's...which is good news.

IMG_0300.jpg

Thanks to all that put the time in.

Congrats Dylan, when are they gonna start the union with dues and all that? LOL

What in the world is an Arborist Technician and what does it have to do with being a pilot? I never heard of such a critter!

And congrats!!!

Damn I need to get me some Certifacations! Good going man!

That is awesome! Congratulations to you.

Good on you Paul, anytime we can up the standards for our industry, it is a good thing.

Congrats Dylan!

I honestly still have some mixed feelings about all of this, but then again I'm a dinosaur that way. I'll be writing when they have an exam up here. Which I'm hoping is soon. While some like multiple cert's I do not, as I don't want to pay here, pay there, pay here again, so I can keep on doing what I already do. So I'm hoping this will replace the ISA cert arb over time.

I know, if I woulda driven to the coast I coulda sat it too. And I believe the cost of the exam will be negligible really, but how many exams will there be, re-certing, dues, things like that. That's what I'd like to know for certain.

Also to be climber cert'd we're gonna eventually as I understand it go somewhere and climb for free so that we can continue to work.

As I said before I'm probably reading to much into it and it'll be a big help if a person follows through and jumps through all the hoops. I just get my back up when people tell me I have to prove myself to continue to do what I already do. And I'm quite certain that is what it will come to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, absolutely. But at least there will be a practical component to it. Its a good thing because the ISA cert is just a simple multiple choice test. As long as say, municipal and gov't contracts support the credential it will be worth it, especially if it supercedes the ISA.

Found a definition
2. To steer or control the course of. See Synonyms at guide.
adj.
1. Serving as a tentative model for future experiment or development: a pilot project.
2. Serving or leading as guide.

Oh, absolutely. But at least there will be a practical component to it. Its a good thing because the ISA cert is just a simple multiple choice test. As long as say, municipal and gov't contracts support the credential it will be worth it, especially if it supercedes the ISA.

That's where I'm not to sure about how I really feel about this. It would seem the whole program/process is designed to keep out people who started out just like I did. A pick-up and some chainsaws, I chose to gain some knowledge along the way others don't. But now I'll get to write some tests or climb a tree or two to prove I can and then I can sit up on my high horse and say, 'yup I'm cert'd those other guys have no business doing this work'.

As I said, I'm sure I'll get the new certs as they become available too because it seems like it would be business suicide if I didn't. Something about it just rubs me wrong is all. I was and am and would continue to do just fine without it.

Not trying to take away from your achievement though man. I'll be lucky to do as well when I write.8)

Congrats!

What did the test cover? Was it all written or was there a practical as well?

Back