Hernia

vharrison

Island Girl
Anyone ever had one? One of our guys thinks he may have one and is deciding if he should see a doctor. (Silly man, of course you should see a doctor) He described it as an umbilical hernia, but from what I have read, he does not fit the profile.

Also, I am thinking, without knowing a thing about hernia's, that it must be work related. Wouldn't you think so? He says not.

GiGi, I had an inguinal hernia as an infant but I can't tell you much about it.

You might check for a book called "The Ruptured Chinaman" By Won Hung Lo

You might check for a book called "The Ruptured Chinaman" By Won Hung Lo
Hmm,you must visit the same library as I .Such titles as "Antlers in the tree tops" by Who Goosed the Moose and " The yellow river rises" by I.P,Daily make for some interesting reading.

That nonsense aside,a blow out of the belly button is pretty common.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmm,you must visit the same library as I .Such titles as "Antlers in the tree tops" by Who Goosed the Moose and " The yellow river rises" by I.P,Daily make for some interesting reading.

That nonsense aside,a blow out of the belly button is pretty common.

Al, requiring surgery?

Al, requiring surgery?
Sometimes surgery is required.I've got a little bitty one that hasn't gotton worse in years.On that deal,who knows.I slipped while carrying a chain falls that must have weighed 150 pounds and caused a little tear.Most of the time they are caused by something similar.Some people are more prone that others.

Some times women blow out their belly buttons having children.

I have had 3 inguinal hernia's. All fixed with wire mesh/laproscopy.

Over stressing, lifting, turning causes them. Very easily work related.

I had the other kind, inguinal (?) when I was pregnant with my first. We were out on a little ski boat, Mike was watching this HUGE house boat instead of the wake it was creating. We went way up out of the water, and came down HARD. I felt something pop then. Hurt, but not really bad. It was pretty scary though, I didn't (don't) know much about them, but had heard they could 'strangulate'. So with an extra dose of wacko pregnancy hormones, I spent the rest of my pregnancy wondering when the winces of pain were a sign of an active baby kicking or the beginning of an intestinal strangulation.

We did have a calf a couple years ago that had a very bad umbilical hernia. It came out of its skin. I think I posted about it. Found him in the field, wrapped him and his protrusion up and he was brought to the vet. He/she did just fine (much to the vet's amazment.)

I don't think it's 'work related' in the sense that you're responsible for the repair (if he gets it done.) It turned out I had two hernias to repair (with the mesh), one on each side. The doc said it's usually a congenital condition....a defect that's been there since you were born. For me it was Mike's crappy driving, and for your worker it was maybe lifting something a bit heavier than he's conditioned for.

Coming off the last deployment, I had to get a medical evaluation due to " minor injuries that occured while deployed." While being checked out, I asked the doctor to tell me what these two small bumps were. One was an umbilical hernia that had started turning color, and the other one was three inches to the left of the first one. Changing color is a bad thing, as the tear can seal up causing gangrene- or so the doc said. The other one was a tear that he determined could be fixed with the same incision. No mesh, straight sewing up. Then there was the four weeks of no bending over or heavy lifting. These occured during an IED attack outside of Taji, Iraq. I would advise that the worker get checked.:cry:

Good info, doggone. Glad yours worked out OK..That changing color would mean a compromised blood flow, not good at all.

As I remember there are 3 types of hernia...inguinal, umbilical and testicular...yep, sometimes a strand of intestine will try to bulge down through the testicular opening. yikes.

One of my friends had an inguinal hernia 2 years ago...he got the mesh patch and has done fine.

Doggone...thanks for your service...you stepped up to the plate and did us proud.

Good news, he is going to get his guys going this morning then head over to the hospital. He is willing to go the workmans comp route, which means you have to start at the hospital ER. So, hopefully it will be a minor problem as he caught it quick.

The results are in, he does have a hernia. Should be an easy fix, but working through Workman's Comp might present some challenges. The hospital has refered him to a Doc down here, and we will want him to go to Miami for treatment.

http://www.hernia-institute.com/

This place is supposed to be one of the best in the country, and you know, we only want the best for our guys!! So, we will plod our way through the workman's comp maze and get him fixed up.

Gigi, is there a reason why you ran it through WC instead of just paying it out of pocket? I've always heard that WC can be quite unforgiving with rate hikes on companies that make claims and therefore it's usually cheaper to simply pay out of pocket unless it's going to be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Gigi, is there a reason why you ran it through WC instead of just paying it out of pocket? I've always heard that WC can be quite unforgiving with rate hikes on companies that make claims and therefore it's usually cheaper to simply pay out of pocket unless it's going to be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Brian, we lease our employees, so the rates pretty much stay the same, regardless. We are in a pool with tons of companies, so the leasing company gets a very fair rate.

Plus, what if he has complications down the road, I don't want that liability.

Luckily the military tri-care system paid for mine, as they were service related. Total was 28,000, plus whatever the meds cost. That was anesthesia also. Check on the wire mesh treatment, because there have been reports about the plunger, when the mesh is inserted, puncturing the spleen. Glad to hear he got it checked and hope all comes out well.:)

Our man is off to Miami this morning. His surgery is today, he will stay overnight at a hotel and then check in with the doctors on Thursday. He will definitely be down for the weekend, and maybe back on Monday in a supervisory position for a while till he feels like he can get back in the trees.

He is a young fellow (under 30) and has 2 climbers on his crew, so I hope he will enjoy supervising for a little bit.

Light duty will be good for him... change of perspective. I'm glad it worked out well.

I'd be surprised if he's up and around on Monday...I was down pretty hard for nearly two weeks after that surgery. Climbing?...a month at least. Maybe 6 weeks.

Hope I'm wrong and he's back real soon, better than ever.

I'd be surprised if he's up and around on Monday...I was down pretty hard for nearly two weeks after that surgery. Climbing?...a month at least. Maybe 6 weeks.

Hope I'm wrong and he's back real soon, better than ever.

Yeah, whatever it takes to heal up. He is out of surgery and all went well, he is supposed to wear what sounds like a girdle for about 5-6 weeks.

Back