Here's a relic

• Thread starter chucky
  • Start date
  • Replies 73
  • Views 10K
That big chain sure has long cutters, made back in the day when the manufacturers expected you to get some longevity out of their product. I notice that with the half inch as well.

If you ever saw one cut that ran good with a sharp chain you would be surprised .They really aren't that slow as compaired to say a David Bradley .They won't get with it like say a hopped up 066 but you have to remember when it was made .

Now as for me,given the choice of that thing or a whipsaw,I'd choose the heavy old saw .

Maybe not, if you had to pack it cross hill and dale, Al :D.

Well,I don't know who Dale is but I'd just as soon he helped me pack that huge old saw over the hill as to get on the business end of a 6 foot crosscut . I tried that crosscut deal just a few times as a teenager and I didn't care for it .

I am learning how to file these chains. It is not bad at all when you cut a bit with them.
No matter how dull it is it still cuts, or rather rip's of fiber...

When they are really sharp they do work fine!

Remember these saws are rated about 7-10hp most of them and use huge bar's!

If it were compared I don't think they would be far behind in 10 cuts in 30" + wood.

These were used for notch, felling and bucking.
Mainly on big trees though...
Smaller they cut notch with axes.

In beginning the first two man saws was used for bucking mainly. They replaced the rail going saws. It could have been possible to do the rest too, but it was a big jump to use these two man saws, to replace the hand saws all at once was not possible.

It looked like the picture that B had was big chipper chain .Easy to sharped if you had a large enough file .

The one Larry S has unfortunatly hit a nail once as they were demoing it at a show and it had planer chain .He had a beech of a time refiling it from comments he had made .

These scratcher chains have more of different teeth.

Usually in sequences like Left outside cutter, right outside cutter, left inside cutter, right inside cutter and center cutter.

5 different cutters to have 5 different angles.

Inside and outside cutters have different angles.

Center cutter is like a planer cutter on the planer type of saws, but is not shaped the same.

At the time these saws were out there were chisel chains too. Most preferred the scratcher type as many who liked engines and saws did well with the saw, but could never learn to file. The loggers who did know how to file never learned enough about the saws to make it work perfectly.

The old saws demand a sertain degree of knowlege to even get them running...

This is why the diesel saws never hit, too little engine know how in the woods.. But that is another story..

You know it may sound odd these days but I remember a time that hardly anybody sharpened their own chains .They took the dull chain to have somebody grind it for them .

I recall as a teenager working out helping a sawmill logger type guy that didn't even sharpen his own .He just kept a bunch of extras for his long bared Macs .

Of course it pretty much goes without saying that the amount of folks that did repairs on their own saws were rare too . Times have changed for some .;)

I lived next door to a guy that was working as a filing guy in the local mill for about 30 years.

He used to tell stories about the first saws and how he filed the chains for people...

McCulloch had scratcher on the first two models, but after that I don't think that option was there anymore.

Chisel chains are very forgiving when filed..
Easy to learn on...

I talked to a old logger this weekend that had started out with hand saws.

He told me the first two years was tuff, but after that he understood filing and after that it was easier.
He had held on to his handsaws up till 1966.
A lot longer than many others here....

Once and only once since I was teenager did I use a crosscut . We had a big fat dead oak on my uncles propety about 5 or so feet in diameter and the longest bars we had were 20 inch .

My dad sharpened his crosscut,we cut into that thing as far as the chainsaws would let us and finished tripping it with the two man saw. That I might add was a tiring chore to put it mildly .

It wasn't a big deal once it was on the ground as we just segmented it with the power saws .Lots of wood in that old thing for sure and already dry to boot .

The old crosscut is hanging in the old mans barn and can stay there as far as I'm concerned .

When we were kids, my old man use to tell us stories of he & his brothers haveing to clear bush with manual two man saws.

They were given a building lot from that family farm provided they clear the bush back from the road that the house was to be build. The more they cleared, the more land they would recieve.

In 1951, my dad had bought a brand new gas powered chainsaw to do the job because he didn't like the thought of clearing bush with the old manual 2 man saw. The trees were felled & cleared & the stumps were removed with dynomite.

Get this, back then you coulod go the local heardware store & actually buy explosives to blow up stumps. I still remember finding old blasting caps in the kitchen drawers as a kid.

Can't remember the make of his 1951 gas saw but its big. This saws bar & carb could also swivel horizontal as well as vertical! Had a strange mane if I recall..."something Bee" maybe, not sure.

Heres the pic of one of them old two man manual saw. Its about 5' long and now hangs on the wall in my den.

HC

Attachments

• Tree Equipment June 2009 001.jpg
    Tree Equipment June 2009 001.jpg
    962.2 KB · Views: 10
The saw you have on the wall is best for felling, bucking.
The planer teeth will not last long in clearing brush.
I have several of these and many of the regular "saw toothed" type.

HC.

This is as close as we get in the chains.
The chain is then called scratcher. Look on the saw you will see what i mean with left/right/planer type...

No, not that much. I would like to know more!
It would be very interesting to see!

The saws used here was made here, Sandvik and Stridsbergs controlled the market....

HC.

This is as close as we get in the chains.
The chain is then called scratcher. Look on the saw you will see what i mean with left/right/planer type...

Cool,

Here.s some closeup pic of the saw tooth. Just like you said, left, right, planer!

HC

Attachments

• 2 Man Saw 001.jpg
    2 Man Saw 001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 2 Man Saw 003.jpg
    2 Man Saw 003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 2 Man Saw 004.jpg
    2 Man Saw 004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
That's pretty much the same as the old saw in my pappys barn .He had a special file which had cutting teeth only on the two faces and none on the edges . Plus there is a certain amount of "set" on certain teeth .

The old man could sharpen any thing .

That is the typical "Disston" set-up.
The scandinavian saws, like Sandvik had only one set of left-right cutters for each set of rakers.

Back