Help with balancing on skinner trees?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can remove my gecko spikes also . I love them I wear my normal work boots with them with no problem.

True enough if you're truly in the small wood you don't want to sideload a dinky top too much but if you get to close the odds of kicking out go up. Takes practice I guess

Your advice will help me out by leaning back more . Don't no y I don't see it for myself. Ty sotc.

Ty Joe. yea there r mixed reviews on them. Pretty much anything I research on products always seems 50/50.

I'm in the middle, I had to reshape the gaff profile from the previous owner of the spurs, so it's between tree and pole gaffs. Seems pretty solid. I also have the large pads on them.

What Willie said. Putting one spur higher also cocks the knee, and through this you can rest it against the trunk. Both things greatly help stabilize your positioning on skinny stems.

Another point Willie brought up, also, is elevating your lanyard. It will support more of your weight, and by it helps greatly to relieve arch pain from long hours in the spurs. Though on skinny poles an elevated lanyard is almost sure to slip if it's not held by a stub. Be most careful there. Especially when running a saw: you do not want your lanyard to slip when you're running a saw! That's bad Ju Ju!

Another thing that will help your stability and confidence is if you can get a high tie in point with your climbing line in an adjacent tree. Not always possible, but nice when it happens. You can also take a load off your feet and knees while you're waiting on ground help by letting your climbing line hold your weight instead of your spikes and lanyard. It will add to your longevity as a climber too.

Thank you limbrat. I choke my climbline above my landyard also to rest.

Does anyone have a spar set of pole gaffs that I can barrow before I spend 100$ on gecko spikes. Any info would be helpful.

I don't have a spare pair but if you're over this way, you're welcome to try mine. They're Bucks though, not Geckos. I know some folks around Cantonement, just a stone's throw from you.

Yes sir that would be awesome, I go to the stihl dealer there in Cantonement. Not far at all. If you would like I can send u my contact info? In a P.M.

I just wanted to take a minute and say, THANKS for all the suggestions/help.....The TreeHouse rocks and im going to make it a point to try to visit more often. 4 kids kinda hampers my online time.

Choke the hell out of your climb line as high as you can and droop your lanyard down a touch on the low side to spread the two apart. Raise on foot up a bit and gaff in. Use that slightly bent knee to push against the trunk and pressure yourself back against your two POA's. That will help keep you balanced.

Back