Help with balancing on skinner trees?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ty tucker im going to b practiceing it tomorrow on a skinny oak. Im going to go about 3/4 the way up and top it to miss some smaller trees. Ill try and gets some more pics tomorrow.

Balance on small wood is equally as mental as physical sometimes. I've seen plenty of people work fine on a small leader but get all goofy on a small main stem.

Its difficult Thats for sure. Im goIng to try all these techniques untill I find one or more that work for me. That oak tomorrow will help me practice.

i have a sternal ascender that holds my centre of mass more solidly so that i am locked in.
if it is still wiggly trying getting closer to vertical. Wiggly stem just means any bit of movement you
make will manifest itself so it is to minimize movement especially at your centre of mass by focusing
the weight to the lower legs especially when your sword is raised.
Right on!Ride ON!

Choke the hell out of your climb line as high as you can and droop your lanyard down a touch on the low side to spread the two apart. Raise on foot up a bit and gaff in. Use that slightly bent knee to push against the trunk and pressure yourself back against your two POA's. That will help keep you balanced.

Well put, this is what works for me.

So, basically, I need to get two points of contact with landyard, and climbline. Gaff in a lil higher on one side, and push my weight back into both climbing systems so I'm rigid in position? Am I getting the picture right , or clear as mud?

You've got it right. But that's what works for me. That might be a headache for you. Only one way to find out.

I'm going to give it a go hopefully tomorrow. I'll let everyone know. But, it sounds like it's going to work for me I will just try different landyard positions , and climbing line position till it works, but I know for certain that I will have to push my self back into my harness/climbing systems. If I would have thought of that last time when I was 40ft in the air scootin about on that skinny pine stick, I think I would have been fine. But, I still would like to try some shorter gaffs....

Well, I guess I would just put my climbing line around the tree about were my waist is, choked back to my rope bridge to take me out of the death loop, and get as much slack as I could out of it. Then, landyard in put one leg a little higher then the other using my knee to push back into both climbing system. What do you think SOTC.? Am I on the right track. I personally don't like cutting chunks off with out my climb line choked around the tree back onto it's self incase it splits, limbing, I keep a high tie in point.

For resting that scenario is fine, for actually cutting I don't want to be reaching high, I wanna cut around waist high if at all possible. When the top goes I'll step back down to relieve pressure on my knees.

Auhhh....I see were your going with that ....Makes since. And it's simple. Meaning, not a lot of bs'ing around..

I have a linesmen choking lanyard that was given to me years ago, only used it a couple of times in tall limbless black spruce and trembling aspen . The thing was retail at $900 last time I checked . Will take a picture of it tomorrow.:)

For resting that scenario is fine, for actually cutting I don't want to be reaching high, I wanna cut around waist high if at all possible. When the top goes I'll step back down to relieve pressure on my knees.

I wasn't implying cutting that high up. I sure wouldn't want to take a top by way of cutting over my head. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I make a fair share of cuts at neck level. Waist level is surely the best.

Back