Help Identify This Tree

• Thread starter RIVERRAT
  • Start date
  • Replies 26
  • Views 4K
R

RIVERRAT

I have done work on this tree on & off the past 10 yrs. Well it finally had to come down.....Any way I have yet to find any one who can say with any certainty just what tree it is.

The tree does ressemble some type of Ash. Dark brown heart wood with red to pinkish wood surrounding it. Tree was over 40' tall......OH, I just had to sneek in a pic of my "Little Lukester"

Attachments

• IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    792.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    876.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    995.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    832.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    885.1 KB · Views: 11
Mulberry? Nope, not!

Sure looks like an ash, but I haven't seen one up close for a few years now.

Do you have a better limb, than one with sprout growth at the tips? VERY hard to identify that small of a specimen. Any pics of the trunk?
Are the leaves wet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes the leaves are wet. A lot of rain here in these parts. Let me see about a better pic of the trunk wood....Oh & before I get flamed for the stubs they were left for a rigging line.

Kansas, this is not a native tree to this area.....
Butch can you help me out with that sideways pic? I dont know how to flip it upright

I dont know why that pic came out that way. I tried reposting it & it did the same thing.
Probably a setting on my camera?

when you view it full screen in windows (from a file) the buttons at the bottom let you flip them

The trunk wood definitely looks Ash-y, but the branching looks to be alternate (Ash is opposite branching). Also, look at the leaf ribs in Bobs posted pics... they're opposite v. Jeff's leaf pix are alternate.
The black bud scars should be a major clue.

The trunk wood definitely looks Ash-y, but the branching looks to be alternate (Ash is opposite branching). Also, look at the leaf ribs in Bobs posted pics... they're opposite v. Jeff's leaf pix are alternate.
The black bud scars should be a major clue.

Seems as though yuo know what it is........?

I'd guess it to be a "Blue Ash".

(Fraxinus quadrangulata Michx.)

Would like to see a better picture of the bark though!

All ash leaves (to my knowledge) are pinnate in structure. These 13 leaflets all make up one leaf:

ashleaves.jpg

But that first pic shows something verrrry different:

attachment.php

Each leaf has it's own leaf stalk (petiole, I think that's called). I think it is not any type of ash. Might it be a type of elm?

love
nick

I think Prof Bob called this one right. There are ashes with simple, single leaves, as he gave links to. The black bud is characteristic of the two types of ash he listed.

The veining in Jeff's pics vary from opposite to alternate; not uncommon.

The bud formation is opposite. The trunk sections, 100% ash.

It's an ash.

Dave

And there you have it !
These types of ID threads are my fave... fun stuff, and I learn so much !!!

Sorry Guys I have been unable to post.

Bob, I think you have indentified this tree...THANX MAN!!

I always say that you will remember the things you got wrong on tests long after you have forgotten what you got right. This was a sample, provided by the Morton Arboretum, on the 50 tree id part of the IL Arborist Assn CA test. I had no clue what it was until I asked Tom Green after the test. There were also 350 questions on the test, I believe. This was in 1986. We were later grandfathered into the ISA CA. I was #IL0024. I also learned what a Cornelian Cherry was that day.

The moral is have a lot of failures, you learn more from them than from successes.

Back