Heli Loggers...

• Thread starter fishhuntcutwood
  • Start date
  • Replies 59
  • Views 7K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, very normal. There's not as much "concern" with safety as there is in residential tree removal. Not saying they're unsafe, but if they're not required by law to use two tie-ins, they won't. Same as they don't always use steel-core.

They prepped 400 trees in 6 days with I believe 3 climbers. That is getting it pretty good. Wonder what kind of pay those guys are looking at.

Over 100k for the chopper to fly for a day. :O

And dudes where all driving nice rides.

I saw it last night myself ,very interesting . Most likely sensationalized a bit for television .

What I don't get is they flipped a lot of lumber with those tops .This seemed strange to me especialy in light of the knotty lumber we get around here . I've seen 2 by 4's with bark on all 4 sides ,at no extra cost either ,how nice of them .:what:

I wondered about that as well Al. seems like a lot of good toothpicks were left sitting on the ground.

Yeah, I love the lumber!! The GOOD stuff I find is crap I would have not used ust a few years ago!

In thinking that over they obviously were after the better grade stuff .

I doubt because of the cost of helo craning it out that the lesser grade of log would justify the costs involved .

For that matter I've seen veneer cutters leave perfectly good lumber logs lay in the woods which would have cut some decent stuff .They were only after the peelers .

Oh it's terrible the quality of lumber we get in the mid west .If the housing boom is not going full tilt ,some of those western Douglas fir pieces of lumber you could make cabinets out of .

If housing is up or a national disaster like a hurricane happens ,the stuff is no better than high priced firewood .Absolutely pitiful .:(

In thinking that over they obviously were after the better grade stuff .

I doubt because of the cost of helo craning it out that the lesser grade of log would justify the costs involved .

Yup. ;)

Why are they topping them? Seems like they could just cut them and limb them up and then haul them out.

Have someone record this show ??
would really like to see it :P

I don't have the show but I do have an extra cd about standing stem logging. I could send it to you if you like, then you could send it on to someone else... if someone axes you.

Why are they topping them? Seems like they could just cut them and limb them up and then haul them out.
From what I gather it would not be feasable because of the terrain to use conventional methods of recovery for the logs .

With steep slopes and selective cutting it would be less damaging to the other trees to use this helo craning method .

On a side note .I've worked with Ericsons on several occasions setting roof top air handling units . We set about 50 one time at Honda in Anna Ohio in about less than a day . The average lift was around 7-9 minutes per .

I wasn't involved in the lifts of units where I work at now but they used that big double rotor job for that . Coincidently after they finished those lifts they were off to the PNW for helo logging .

Clear as mud... not? Cut the tree, limb it up, buck it up, then let the heli haul it out off the ground. Top will probably break anyway and they aren't using the tops anyway... Seems like alot more work that what it needs to be but I am sure there is a reason.

Those are super high value logs. Minimizing breakage is a priority, Also damage to nearby trees is cut back. Most of the fir they are cutting is Special Mill grade, The Cedar is #1 and better. They get these sales on a per tree basis, logging only the high value stuff, with no ground scarification means they can continue this type of harvest for a long, long time.
10 tree a day, that's hard. That is a lot of days of `1000+ feet a day of climbing.:evil:

My damn TiVo didn't record it!!!!! Dangitall!

I just watched the third episode (got it online, only one I could find). It's pretty good I'd have to say, I love to see the Canadian safety attitude.
The one guy that gets a head injury used to be a foreman at Davey when I worked there about 8 years ago. A friend of mine said he saw this guy take a balcony off a townhouse with a big top so he's likely better suited to the bush than in town stuff.
My boss was just saying that he happened to run into one of the Chinook pilots that is on the show, he's flying for a big run-of-river hydro project in Toba inlet that we're going to climb a bunch of trees for.

I think a lot of the guys get their 200t's 'Walkerized.'

I'd like to find the first couple of episodes. If anyone would like I could probably make the third episode available for downloading.

Last time I talked to Blair I thought you were still with the big D, did you move on Gord?

Back