Hang Gliding!

My one experience with a shortage of oxygen was when I had a brief heart irregularity. It didn't feel comfortable at all, and it sure didn't seem like fun.

Flying double is fun. It is nice to be able to bullshit as you fly.
Also, double the weight on a small glider makes it quite lively.

not for me....good buddy( bad ass climber) died hangliding in SC. First solo flight while his instructor watched......RIP Doc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
People die driving cars and climbing trees.

Kind of makes you question the instruction he received. Aviation is not forgiving. You have to be honest with yourself about your abilities.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm not gonna participate in any sport that can kill/maim me. Tree climbing's pushing it enough for me. That, and just simply driving.

What sport do you do then?

While flying is a sport, it is also more. Some of us feel a little confined and restricted down here.

No no, you don't have to do a sport. Many people don't do sports.

Weight lifting is a sport. You train do you not? You can get injured doing it, but not killed or maimed.

Doubt there is much interest, but bumping anyway...... had fun this weekend!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xnv07566TuQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is exactly the way I feel about it!

Unfortunately, gravity wins in the end.

Plus it is the ground that will hurt you - stay away from it, and you will be ok.

Sweet vid!! Looks like an awesome ridge soaring site. I fly paragliders. My flight yesterday was over 2 hours and I had the opportunity to soar with a bald eagle within 100 yards of me. Magic.

Speaking of the ground hurting, on the news a couple days ago was a report of a 76 year old man that died after crashing while paragliding, apparently a beginner. For gawd sakes be careful!

My neighbor was a Lt. Col in the Air Force, commander of a fighter squadron. He owned a 1946 Piper Cub and got all the neighborhood kids hooked on flying. The first time he took me up was right on the edge of a thunderstorm that moved in us rather quickly. I trusted his judgment, as he had flown in 3 wars, but still rather scary. He let me fly in on the downwind leg, decide when to turn, and then turn again, and brought it in right to the edge of the grass strip before he took over. Pretty thrilling as a 20 year old.

One time he was letting me fly and didn't notice the plane flying towards us. I pointed it out and he took over making a turn towards it and making machine gun noises. A kid at heart. The good old days.

Back