Handsaw Opinions Please

big sugoi here, no hook and a scabbard that hangs left or right handed. i like that it has a large blade like the ibuki, but is quite a bit lighter.

All the same reasons I use the Sugoi. The 360 has a sharpened tip for cutting bark that I did not like, so I took a grinder and shaped it into a dull hook. It can now be used for pulling out hangers or even a rope that is just out of reach.

I use a Zubat with a Sugoi scabbard on the leg. I lost the black thing that holds it in so i taped some hose in its place. Plus I cut off the tip so its not so long.

I liked my Sugoi, but have been using a Tsurugi for about 8 months and am really liking it. Scabbard for it is awesome too.

I often wondered about kevlar gloves too...got enough nicks and cuts on knuckles and thumbs. At least wearing some kind of glove limits the damage...that and taking hands out of the way FIRST!

MS200, the ultimate hand saw.
The Silky saws are nice, if a bit expensive.
The newer Coronas are decent and very cheap. Look at them, or better yet try one before you decide.
Found very little difference, save price, between the new 13" Corona and a 13-14 silky. If your not worried about what others think, you might look at them. Save yourself several hundered dollars.
The Silkys used to be the only saw available with the aggressive razor tooth pattern but now lots of saws have the same tooth pattern, dont get me wrong Silkys are quality tools, but not everyone is looking to buy a hundred dollar hand saw for some newbie to abuse.

I dont know that any handsaw will save you several hundred dollars compared to another, unless you live on the moon.

I love my Sugoi, but all the reasons are things you said you dont want. I like it because it is big, it has that hook at the end (that I filed down similarly to dMC), and it has a leg scabbard. I am 6'3 and it is perfect for my calf, although for a shorter person I can see it being a real hassle.

A zubat sounds like a good choice for you however I could never deal with with it being so short and not having the hook on the end (I would be constantly pulling it out of the cut). I was not impressed with the corona saws I have used, they are provided free by my company but I still choose to have a Silky at my own expense.

I've had many Coronas and (GAG!) Fannos and I'll never have them again. Just call me MasterSilkyBlaster! :rockon:

I'm getting to try out a Sugoi this week, my groundie from last year bought like four different silkys just after I left, my Zubat needs a new blade and until I pick enough of those dollar bills that grow on trees, she loaned me the Sugoi.

Apart from obviously being bigger, there isn't all that much difference from the Zubat performance wise from what I can see (and cut) Pruning the mahoganies last week...the sugoi doesn't like the smaller branches, and the slightly sticky gummy sapwood clogs it up just as quick as a zubat. Its fine, glad I'm getting the chance to try one but I wouldn't ruch out and buy it in preference to my zubat. My two cents

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
... hmmm, learning lots. I appreciate the stuff you cannot get over the phone from sales assocites. I have used some Corona stuff, though inexpensive I have dissmised the brand as Cheap Chinese knockoffs. Money stiil too tight to buy new handsaw or HitchHiker yet

Using the Sugoi more today, cutting dead baygrape limbs, the increased size overall, including the teeth does make cutting hard dead wood a bit easier than the smaller Zubat. But still, a sharp Zubat is very versatile.

I guess on each end of the scale, Zubat better for smaller stuff, (doesn't grab) then they both overlap in the middle and the Sugoi handles larger harder wood slightly better.

I was given a free Samurai last year, straight blade, my hubby uses it on the ground for little cuts, its pretty good, so if looking for a slightly cheaper option you would do ok with that brand.

I just got another silky the other day. I love those saws. I also got a file to sharpen my old one. its a slow process but it's giving it a nice new edge.

We rarely use chainsaws for pruning, I would have to have a 6"+ cut, or a multitude of 4-5"ers to bother carrying a saw around. I prefer it though actually, its peaceful and our jobs are usually bid with plenty of room so worrying about the time difference is negligible.

I like how quiet a prune can be :)

Yep!

Two guys in a tree, just whittling away, maybe shooting the bull a bit.

Such a releaf after logging season, listening to saws howl all day.

I'm planting right now, that is nice and quiet, too:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
... it is true after screaming saws, Chipper time, and all ... one does appreciate quiet pruning, even cleanup detail... when we logged here wether Horses or the Skidder, I liked the very end of the day on the landing all alone just straightening up and readying for tommorrow's activities

For real, I call it stealth pruning, always surprises them to see a pile of branches on the ground and they never heard anything.
The swish of a broom and the scrape of a rake is lovely too.

My big property that I work on has teak stairs and sand covered pathways winding through the trees down to the beach, so zen to sweep or rake them after doing the tree work, beats a blower any day of the week.

We get days of just dropping trees all day in thinning and beetle kill groves. You get a in a nice prune... especially during burn season, and you don't even have to hear the chipper. It is kinda Zen... Don't have to yell. Can just talk to each other and get the job done. Peaceful.

Back