Hands

I swear, a pin or a dime...and I'd take any bet anyone wants to make on that.

I don't know if y'all might recall those solar panel installations I posted pics of earlier in the summer...I did all the hardware manipulations wearing Atlas nitriles. Nuts, bolts, flat and lock washers, off and back on, from 13mm down to 10mm, in odd working positions and storing the bits and pieces in my mouth between times. Probably a dozen bolt sets per install. Never dropped a single piece. I lost one large timber screw (like a large scale sheetrock screw) when the power driver slipped sideways as I started it, but I didn't have my fingers on it properly, so that was operator error, not glove grip issues.

If you think you can't do fine detail work in either of those gloves, think again.

Sean is dead on, hydration is the key to muscles and tendons functioning properly.

I read somewhere that dehydration was the root of 70% of major health problems.

The atlas gloves do make a huge difference for me. They shine when you have sweated so much you have soaked your rope in spots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll try to get back in the habit...I am a wimp when it comes to heat...try to stay cool as much as possible, and my hands really help dissipate a lot of my heat. That's why I moved from FL to CO. But the finger stiffness hasn't been as noticeable in the past few days; I guess I haven't been climbing as much...Bucket Jockey here lately!!!8)8)

I wish I could wear gloves. Anytime I have tried with either nitrile or atlas, my hands sweat so much that my hands slip out of the gloves. I simply can't keep them on.

With the carpel tunnel thing, you get pain and strength loss , as the nerves lose informations and become unable to command the muscles. But the finger aren't locked in place.
In your case, that's purely a mechanical problem, not functional. Too young and too sudden to be arthritis.
The "finger trigger" from Pantheraba seems matching right well your trouble.
Drink water, wear gloves, reduce the stressful movements (heavy loads, long time handling, strong vibes...) should be very good advices.

Mais ouis, monsieur...merci. I agree with your "pain and strength loss" as signs of carpal tunnel syndrome.

As the inflammation subsides (and tendons and sheathes "unswell') movement should be better.

Told ya Jeff: Suddenly your work-load changes a bit, and you've suddenly got a whole new set of aches and pains! Gotta love treework. :|:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Talked to a PT friend of mine today and she said to stretch my forearms and ice my wrists after work. Mentioned something about swollen tendons too! Come winter time it'll be my knees hurting from skiing everyday...I HOPE!!!

I find hand ascenders cut a huge strain over hand over hand. It take a few extra seconds to take it off my harness, and affix to the rope, and a few seconds the other way, but big deal. I used to have wrist problems. Used to. Some small ergonomic changes go a long way. A foot ascender can stay on, with or without spurs, all day. Its smaller and lighter than a hand ascender. Another option. Or use them together. You only get so many miles on your body. Stay healthy everybody!

Duane and I had the trial run on this brand yesterday. He's tried a bunch of different ones over the years (58y.o.). He said that at first it took a few minutes to get used to it. He said that for him, the Stihl power pole saw was much better. I use my gloves particularly for my Kombisystem power pole saw/ brush cutter/ string trimmer/ hedge trimmer.

We had to do a large hedge prune a few weeks ago at Peace Arch park at the Canadian border using the Stihl powerhead with hedge trimmer. Duane's wrist started killing him after about 30 minutes to point that he stopped working.

I used the Hulk gloves a bit for falling and bucking with the MS 460, and driving the tractor a bit. Easy to operate both with the gloves on.

At roughly 1/3 the cost of Stihl, the longevity doesn't matter so much. At an infinitely small amount compared to new hands/ wrists, they're cheap.

No fine movements (pins or dimes), and would not be climbing gloves, or brush handlers, more for machines. I would be able to tie a running bowline, etc with them on, but not as easily as with Atlas. Easy enough to slip on/ off.

I should clarify that I've started to wear out my Stihl gloves. Some of the bumps are worn down on my thumbs. Pretty good amount of use for the wear.

Back