Grease guns

My problem with my grease guns are this.

When I put the cartridge in it starts great, then after a while it stops putting out grease like it’s empty, so I open it up and there’s loads in there but it hasn’t got to the top, so I piss around with it for a bit, pushing the rod at the bottom up and down etc. then it starts again.
Infuriating, and yet I know I’m making some kind of elementary error.

TIA.

My problem with my grease guns are this.

When I put the cartridge in it starts great, then after a while it stops putting out grease like it’s empty, so I open it up and there’s loads in there but it hasn’t got to the top, so I piss around with it for a bit, pushing the rod at the bottom up and down etc. then it starts again.
Infuriating, and yet I know I’m making some kind of elementary error.

TIA.
Air bubble.
After you load the new tube and release the rod, you have to open the bleeder screw to release the air pocket. Or you can unscrew the top of the gun a turn or two to allow the air to escape.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes Mick, you describe the headaches accurately.

I've had none of these problems so far with the Milton.

Life's too short to have to fook with your GG most of the time.

My last three guns have had the annoying issue of the plunger leaking by the grease. You can't get any more to pump out, but you can't retract the plunger either. All the grease is behind the plunger seal.

Kind of amazing, ain't it.
50 years ago we could put a man on the Moon, but we still can't make a working grease gun.

My last three guns have had the annoying issue of the plunger leaking by the grease. You can't get any more to pump out, but you can't retract the plunger either. All the grease is behind the plunger seal.

EXACTLY.

Drives me nuts

I'm frugal AF so when I throw away a Lincoln grease gun that works as well as the day it was purchased, that's saying something:lol:

. Pistol grip can be used with one hand so you can hold the end of the hose with the other hand. Adjustable for high pressure/low volume or low pressure/high volume. They just work and my employees never broke one.
Milton grease gun on Amazon

Bump.

I have 3 of these now and they are awesome. No problemos.

If anyone is having headaches with grease guns, try these, I'm real glad I did. :drink:

M18 and M12 gun are what I’m using now but I have Legacy manual pumpers with two settings. I like them well enough.

I have those, they work well but are sometimes too big for some of my zerks on the mini. So I made a short whip with a conventional coupler for the hard to reach zerks.

I use the lock and lube coupler, best purchase I ever made for greasing. Flexible tubing too

I checked out one of those at a dealer. It's a nice idea but since the unit is bigger than a normal coupler, it won't fit alot of my tight access zerks

I checked out one of those at a dealer. It's a nice idea but since the unit is bigger than a normal coupler, it won't fit alot of my tight access zerks
2 grease guns? (I only have high-temp grease to avoid problems, so I only have one GG. My former boss, 15 years ago used low-temp grease on his chipper bearings, sooooo unnecessarily expensive compared to grease.)

Back