Grease guns

Greasing is a very neglected part of maintenance, especially if employees are involved. My friend that runs the Grove 60t crane just got 3 Milwaukee M18 grease guns. One is for a crane specific grease. There is a much better chance of it getting done if the guns are easy to use and don't break down all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yes good point re storage and leakage

I use the valvoline crimson, seems to be good results so far

Hey I don't know if y'all know this innernet/amazon thing, lol,but it's pretty cool- Ive been horizontal since sunday when my back blew out, missed a week of perfect, frozen ground working weather, have a lot of custys with some level of disgust for me. But with literally one click of a button, sqwerl's model of gg is on its way to me, it'll be here day after tomorrow, and I didn't have to get off my heating pad to get it :dude: :drink::|::D8)

Last edited:
My friend that runs the Grove 60t crane

Hows that working out for him? Beautifully, I presume.

A local outfit just bought one of Mayer's, 5 yo, half mill

Concept from farm and earth equipment, stump grinder etc.:
High dollar gear push grease to just push out small line of new grit and moisture from high power dirty usage, that is at door of trying to venture in past seals.
Maintaining pristine metal and grease enviro inside (as can).

My uncle who used to work with me would always say, "grease is the cheapest mechanic you'll ever hire". I use the onehanded pistol grip with the hose end. Honestly never have much fuss with changing the cartridges or getting airlocked. I've got two, presumably different brands as ones blue and the other is black. Both seem to work equally well.

Hows that working out for him? Beautifully, I presume.

A local outfit just bought one of Mayer's, 5 yo, half mill
They are keeping it busy. It's not just bigger than the 40t on the Peterbilt, it's way more versatile and maneuverable. I think they've picked over 2k at 128' radius. They are assembling a 180,000 pound excavator next week.

Indeed. Its got a small footprint for its capactiy (compared to a boom truck) and the crab steering gets it into some crazy tight spots.

Wheres the excavator at. a quarry?

Shell makes a I think it was 5% moly grease and when I saw the name I asked the rep if it was made from Gads flies. :) I found 18 wheeler supply/service centres had all the good synthetics and types vs box or retail stores. There was one grease that separated badly with red oil coming out, can't remember the name but the place was stopping carrying it. My tube peed all over the shelf before I turfed it.

Someone told a story of big outfit where the boss bought everyone a grease gun, and said if he ever found a machine dry, everyone would be fired.

Collective responsibility can suck, but also get things done...positive peer pressure.

yeah so brians recommended GG arrived 24 hrs later, its a fine tool so i ordered another to replace another thats giving me grief

it dawned on me he also turned me on to filer discount place online and we both are fans of Lubriplate

yes i think so its been awhile cuz i ordered a
boatload of filers a few years ago

Happy it worked out for you. And Fleetfilter.com is a great resource if you have multiple vehicles to maintain. I'd still check Amazon if you just need one or two.

The Milton grease gun recommended by Brian is by far the best gg I've ever used. I have 2 and just ordered another after throwing into the garbage can my not heavily used Lincoln lever action gg.

Miltons don't drip in hot weather, are super easy to use, very easy to load, and don't get grease behind the plunger. All other gg's I've used act the opposite of those good qualities I noted.

With other grease guns, probably 85-95% of the greasing sessions I've done involve at least one little glitch in the process which is a fpita. Milton's just grease, end of story. :drink: :dude:

Also, you don't have to store them in a particular, they are ready to pump grease regardless of their storage position

#Ihateashittygreasegun

Good to know on the Milton. My M18 is the first I've had that worked well. Friend that runs the crane just bought more M18s, I think they have at least five now.

Tubi is a Swedish brand of Grease Gun.

Handsdown the best GG I have used. The designers have solved every likely problem you can encounter using a regular GG.

.They run about $100 each but will last a lifetime.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210827-190918_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210827-190918_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 8
ICWYDT.....Mess.

I bought what I thought was a good quality GG a few years ago to take care of my chipper. It's nasty to grab in hot weather. I keep it in its own cheap briefcase just to isolate it...and keep a trash bag around that case. Sounds like the Milton would not be messy...is the Tubi the same?

Back