Good Books to Read Your Kid(s)

The Little Prince is an excellent book for kids or anyone to read. A very good message there. After reading the book get the video. Gene Wilder as The Fox is excellent. No one else could own that role like GW.

Right now I'm reading The Little Prince to my girlfriend. A chapter or so each night. What fun!

Research has shown and I've seen this in friends kids, reading to children will make them readers and learners.

Jeff Jepson read to his kids and now they're avid readers. His son har read The Hobbit and The Trilogy by himself by the time he was in second grade after JJ read it to his kids at night.

Another book that I try to read again every year is Shel Silverstein's 'ABZ Book'. It's available for around $8.

Here are some pictures of some of the letters. You decide when your kids are old enough to hear about Uncle Shel. In our family 7-8 is early enough. My nieces have many of the letters memorized.

http://www.book-by-its-cover.com/childrens/uncle-shelbys-abz-book

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's funny Tom because Haley and I just watched that part of The Little Prince. I haven't read the book but I love the movie.

The First Forest by John Gile. My sister got it for me about 20 years ago. It is not arboriculturally correct, but it is a good one. Was on the best seller lists in about 1989 in the Chicago area at least.

As a nipper I liked Little Grey Men and Brendon Chase by BB.

Anything by Dahl.

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C O'Brian when I got a little older.

I will try to remember more.

My sister came around last week while I was reading a book she said that she didn't know I was into reading books, I remember doing little else.

High Scale, I bought the rats of nimh dvd a couple years ago on Ebay, too cool to watch the old stuff. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well the Roald Dahl books we have read seem to be just little above her age wise, which seems perfect especially since she stops and asks me what words mean. We are four chapters in on the Wizard of Oz and the vocabulary is harder. She still seems engaged but we may have to switch books and revisit this one later. Did you guys know that in the book the Wicked Witch of the East wear silver slippers not ruby red?

I forgot the author as That was a time before memory,

But as a kid I wread a book called, The last Tree.

Touched my soul and made me a conservationist. er maybe preservationist.

Oh and I read every single Hardy Boys, Larry's old Yellow Jalopy........

For boys 8 and above just about anything by Jim Kjelgaard. Boys & dogs, hunting, trapping, firefighting.....all were in his realm and he wrote with experience and authority. Very prolific also.

About all I read when I was young were science fiction and biographies.

(English question! Should it be "was" instead of "were?" That kinda stuff bothers me and I can't remember the rule for it. I'm pretty sure I'm right.)

Back