Generator

I'm the same, it's rare enough here and usually pretty short outages when they happen that I'm just running cords. I even have a 220 extension cord made up of romax to power the well pump so we have running water, a downside of being on a well. I have a older gas miller trailblazer welding machine that has 3500 watt ac generator, so that's what i usually use. When my dad was on a breathing machine they lost power at their house, so i left work and ran it over, pretty much saved the day with the old girl.

It's a multipurpose machine, does stick (and tig since it's the same thing), mig (too small imo so I've never hooked it up), and even has ac polarity so you can get a high frequency box and tig weld aluminum. I of course don't have one, but i do so little aluminum i can either take it and do it elsewhere or simply stick weld it since that's fine for most stuff. I saved it from the dump so the price was right, took a bit of love but it's been nice to have from time to time. I'd love to get a new or bigger machine tho, most of the new stuff is 10,000 watts, big enough where you can start thinking about powering a whole house. The new stuff is inverter too, so it's clean power too. But for now it suits me fine, but it's obviously pretty heavy so you gotta do a bit more to get it around, either a baby trailer which works pretty good, or having equipment/rigging to load it which is fine too for me usually.

True, I hadn't considered mentioning that. I was speaking more in general than specifically for Burn's setup. I made a parallels setup for my pair of 9500s, but this week when the power briefly went out I did like Burn and grabbed the little generator and extension cord to run the network and 3D printer.

I'm the same, it's rare enough here and usually pretty short outages when they happen that I'm just running cords. I even have a 220 extension cord made up of romax to power the well pump so we have running water, a downside of being on a well. I have a older gas miller trailblazer welding machine that has 3500 watt ac generator, so that's what i usually use. When my dad was on a breathing machine they lost power at their house, so i left work and ran it over, pretty much saved the day with the old girl.

It's a multipurpose machine, does stick (and tig since it's the same thing), mig (too small imo so I've never hooked it up), and even has ac polarity so you can get a high frequency box and tig weld aluminum. I of course don't have one, but i do so little aluminum i can either take it and do it elsewhere or simply stick weld it since that's fine for most stuff. I saved it from the dump so the price was right, took a bit of love but it's been nice to have from time to time. I'd love to get a new or bigger machine tho, most of the new stuff is 10,000 watts, big enough where you can start thinking about powering a whole house. The new stuff is inverter too, so it's clean power too. But for now it suits me fine, but it's obviously pretty heavy so you gotta do a bit more to get it around, either a baby trailer which works pretty good, or having equipment/rigging to load it which is fine too for me usually.
So a Vantage 500 is on your wish list.

I wouldn't turn it down, but I'm not really a fan of the vantage, with it being a computer board and all. I busted a test once Maybe an sae, they have a beautiful arc, or even a 300D which isn't bad but it's wet and is basically an sa. A vantage or bigger miller would be good enough tho, I would be looking for a 400 to 500 so i could actually really mig and gouge with it, and I'm broke and don't need one so no time soon likely.

I wouldn't turn it down, but I'm not really a fan of the vantage, with it being a computer board and all. I busted a test once Maybe an sae, they have a beautiful arc, or even a 300D which isn't bad but it's wet and is basically an sa. A vantage or bigger miller would be good enough tho, I would be looking for a 400 to 500 so i could actually really mig and gouge with it, and I'm broke and don't need one so no time soon likely.
Baker Gas has the Miller Big Blue duo800 air pack for a measly $63,565.00 plus tax and shipping. :|: But hey they have a free gift that comes with it.

Lol there's guys and outfits that buy them at that price too! And need them, that would be super badass to have one of those :rockon: On pipeline where the welder supplies the welding rig (and they don't need all that lol) most new machines are around $20,000, and diesel with 300 amp capacity. A bunch of guys had the cross country machines, and they pretty much universally loved them. I watched a guy weld up a gap you could throw a rod through like it was nothing, completely blew my mind. There's even nice millers, not really my price range or preference, but they are good machines too, especially for fill and capping. I burned a few coupons with their machines but not enough to really put it through the paces. You gotta remember when you start getting into the commercial/ industrial and later specialty machines cost becomes a much less important design feature, and so they work differently than the lower priced stuff. Usually an older machine that fits the bill is often a wayyyyyyy better machine than a more modern one that was designed to do less, especially if you can live with their limitations like less generator capacity.

The welding arc no longer fights you, in fact you can fine tune exactly how everything works so the seemingly impossible all of a sudden becomes a setting you can come back to. Having a remote helps immeasurably too, so you can dial the arc in as you weld, and quickly change heat settings when changing rod types and sizes, not gonna find that on a cheaper machine. Most stick machines have a soft arc designed to run 7018 and tig weld mainly, and run 6010 well enough to do the job, which is good enough for most construction. They carry more voltage with less ability to change the heat much with arc length, aka slope on a volt amp curve. It's a rectified current, meaning it uses ac and basically trims off the negative part, an inverter does this at 24khz so it's really smooth, but an old school dc generator makes a pure dc output.

But even more importantly the entire engine drive acts on the arc in particular ways: the rpms determine the voltage, the flywheel and heavy engine components adds inertia which translates to having power to punch through stuff and tolerating a very tight arc that would normally stick, it has a variable drooping slope so you can literally adjust how much the heat changes with your arc length, etc. Most guys when they're learning to weld fight controlling their arc length, but after a bit you can use it to help you, but the machine has to be capable for that to help. That's why i recommend engine drive welders, not only are they portable and often have a generator, they usually weld better than any machine you're gonna plug in, especially on single phase.

Take my 1972 sa200, it's got a water cooled flathead 4 cylinder engine, slow turning at 1800 rpms high. This by design gives a forceful and very steady arc, kinda like an old truck. It has 5 "gears" or ranges, and a fine tune knob to dial it in. The gears overlap a bunch, so you can go high on the gear and low on the fine to give you a very controllable high slope setting, or low on the gear and high on the remote giving you a wet arc that doesn't mind arc length changes. You can even adjust the rpms to line up the heat once you have the fine adjustment where you want it, so it can perform exactly how you want it to at a certain setting. I have staggered brushes on mine, which allows for an even drier arc so i can really build up metal fast, what is called stacking, so on the pipeline when you are welding with other people i have to do less work to get more weld done.

In third gear, 100 on the fine will be able to instantly pierce 3/8" material with an 1/8" 6010, and on 15 it becomes too cold to even run. It will run a 3/32 7018 rod so hot that the rod will melt out of the stinger before you burn half of the rod, and if you just cram the rod in there it'll weld without undercutting even at that setting. It's really unreal how nice the arc is, and how productive an actual stick welder like that can be. It's big limitation is that it only has dc, so i run acdc tools off the 120 volt dc power, which for the application of me working in wet conditions not only makes it safer but grinders and other tools run stronger on dc. So that suits me for what i use the machine for, because even at home I'm not welding in the garage, I'm out in the mud and snow where i have room and can work without damaging other stuff, no place for mig in the real world :lol: The remote is super simple too, and uses an ordinary extension cord to run the remote and power tools all in one.

Just put a 25hp engine on it, and it's california legal. Does it really need to be 25hp, or just have a sticker claiming that?
Call it 1hp per 400 watts of output. You'd need to remove the gear box/otherwise adapt the engine's ~3600rpm to the generator's required input.

Him varying the engine speed making 59-62hz talking about the feature not requiring using a brain for engine speed is comical. Same with spending $5k on an unreliable tractor to plan on using it for your PTO generator so your primary tractor can do other tasks. I'd need a third generator to make comparable power to his PTO generator... they collectively would drink gas when loaded, but for $1709 x3, that's cheaper and presumably more reliable than his $5k tractor idea running a PTO.

With the paralleled generators, you can run a single when the loads are light, if you're looking to conserve gas. Also if one goes out/won't start, the remaining can still work. With my setup I can run the fridges, freezer, network, and general 120v circuits in the house off the small generator (25 amps), or pull out the bigger units and run the house quasi normally (can't charge the car wide open while running the AC and water heater).

Last edited:
Back