Generator

Burnham

Woods walker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, I'll need it. Don't know about the fun part :lol:.

We loose power often enough here, and for long enough to use it at least several times a year. It's really only for powering our refrigerator/freezer...though I could also run a few lights, or the computer and modem.

Good thing its an inverter type for the clean power, just about everything has computers in it anymore

Yep , congrats ... puts you on level two independent. I borrowed a very similar one and did well with a few extension cords , those are quiet and efficient. Like you say enough lights and no throwing out foods. Eventually upgraded with enough output to run whole house no extensions cords. Sweet to have KW when grid is down , happens here more like five or six times a year. Always go for fuel before the roads are closed

Last edited:
I like the way that looks. I need to get off my ass and get a generator; maybe that one. Looks like it should be able to run a sump pump and fridge. That's all I need.

1800 watts run, 2250 surge. I got it through Home Depot, free shipping, $508 and change all up.

WEN makes several of similar output, slight differences between them...you have to look close at the details to pick the best of their lot...I think I did. Slightly larger fuel tank, longer run time, a fuel gauge (which seems surprisingly rare).

Burn, why do you loose power so often?
I suspect because of the long distance to the nearest power generating substation combined with the vast number of trees. I'm only 6 blocks from my power substation and every power outage I've had was a result of tree problems here in the neighborhood. Two were caused by trees at the house next door.

Brian has it about right. Couple the distance, the trees, and add in our weather (plenty of rain, snow, wind) and you get power outages. Often the breaks happen in places very difficult to access due to topography. We also are near the end of the power feeds, so we get repairs after lines that service many more customers do...just a matter of logical prioritization by the power company.

Yup...I wouldn't consider any other type. Not sure why anyone would, really.

If you don't need clean power the other kind are cheaper and usually have larger outputs for dramatically cheaper prices. Think construction company using them to power tools on undeveloped sites.

What's the difference between this...

and this...

The former looks superior in every respect, but it's $60 cheaper?

Might be them changing models....i know that happens with other stuff. The new model will come out and be slightly more expensive, which clears out the old stock.

What's the difference between this...

and this...

The former looks superior in every respect, but it's $60 cheaper?
I can tell you what I found from my research. The 2350 has the same engine and electrics as the 2250, it only produces more power by running at a higher default setting RPM. The 2350 has a smaller fuel tank and a shorter run time per tank and per gallon of fuel used. The 2350 has on average a shorter life span due to the higher RPM. The 2250 has a fuel gauge, the 2350 does not.

The 2350 weighs almost 10 pounds less than the 2250 because the "frame" inside the plastic body is much less robust, as are the engine and electric component mounts...leading the 2350 to vibrate more and be more inclined to "walk around" when running.

They both get good reviews...but it's hard to find anything but 5 out of 5 for the 2250, and the 2350 is not quite so uniformly praised. Most especially telling is reading a review from an individual that owns both...in their opinion the 2250 was far the better product.

So I chose the 2250. You really have to get down in the weeds to make a solid comparison.

Thanks Burnham! Very helpful. I'm gonna sit on it a little bit, but I think I'll probably buy one(likely the 2250). I really should have a generator, and I like that the one you got is human portable. No storage hassles, and easy to move about with sufficient power for my intended use.

One potential downside to any of these smaller WEN generators that is very easy to overlook unless you read the owners manual closely...the 2250 requires a change of carb jet for operation at elevations 3000 to 6000 feet, and a different jet for 6000 to 8000. It's not a hard job to do, but would be a royal pain in the ass if you were wanting to travel with it as power for work or an RV and were going up and down above and below those elevations.

This is another point where the 2250 beats the 2350...that latter model needs the change at 2000 feet and above, and won't operate well above 7000 feet. I suspect that has to do with the higher operating RPM.

Since I only plan to use mine at my home, and I live well under 3000 feet, it's no biggie for me...but for some it sure could be a deal killer.

Last edited:
Thanks Burnham. I'm at ~300', and it'll likely never leave my house, certainly not the general area. I'm not really one for generator camping or anything like that. It's just for emergencies, and I could see the occasional need of running tools away from power, but I've manged this long without that luxury, so it'll probably stay home.

Kyle, I think the 2350 is the newer model. I rather suspect it's priced cheaper because it's built a little cheaper.

The Harbor Freight inverter generators are also well reviewed... generators are probably something I should look into more.

Good thread Burnham. When I did a recent kitchen remodel I needed to upgrade my main electrical panel so I put in a generator transfer switch at the same time. I did some tree work for a friend and he gave me a very lightly used 6250 watt generator in return...nothing special quality-wise, but it should work in a pinch. I can power some house lights and the reefer plus the freezer if all goes to hell. Don't want to lose all that fish and game after all!

Last edited:
Much larger units than what the discussion is about, but I installed a Generac at the camp building and one at my sisters house out at the day camp once we got natural gas onsite. They have saved us a number of times already. Here I have a small, old Honda generator just to keep the refrigerator and freezer going.

Back