Gas Surcharge?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Meant to post this in this thread:

Going from $3 to $6 would increase my cost for an average bid (30 miles of driving) by about $2.42.

Carl, not by a long shot. Everything is tied to the cost of fuel. The chains you buy are going to go up because it cost more to get them to the dealer, food is going up...you get the picture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Over here, the VW Golfs are getting near 70mpg with their TDi's, and that would leave a hybrid for dead in a race.

I wonder how long it will take for that car to hit the american market? Maybe when our fuel hits 8 dollars a gallon like it is in England.

Every single time somebody from England mentions the MPG of their cars, everybody goes nuts because of the disparity. But the fact is that an English gallon is not equal to an American gallon. The vehicles get about the same mileage, it's just measured differently.

Carl, not by a long shot. Everything is tied to the cost of fuel. The chains you buy are going to go up because it cost more to get them to the dealer, food is going up...you get the picture.

That doesn't effect the cost of the bid eh? It does however effect the bid.

Sure, I didn't account for tires, ect, but it's really minimal in the scheme of things.

Where the hybrids really shine is in city driving, especially stop and go. For freeway driving they're hauling a bunch of heavy batteries around. I have tried to have a vehicle that will do all of the things that I do, so that I will only have one vehicle to insure. It's a compromise between driving to bids/errands, towing the dump trailer, towing the stump grinders, positioning the tow behind stump grinder, hauling wood, and that's about it.:)

For a small operator, A bid vehicle that is only a bid vehicle is not practical, imo. I might need to tow the chipper or trailer to the next site along the way to a bid, lets see the hybrid 60 mpg hatchback do that!

Good news Diesel prices dropped 14 cent today.

They last from 50k to 75k, depending on who is doing the telling... and they cost about $15k to replace, counting recycling costs...like Thor says, I fear hybrids are a false eco-benefit.

Toyota Prius has a 100,000 mile warranty on the batteries. If you run out of gas, better have a gas station in sight.
the way they work is in tandem with the little engine.

I am looking at the toyota highlander 4 cylinder right now.

I am looking at the toyota highlander 4 cylinder right now.

Does the 4 cyl have the guts to drive around town and such with efficiency? I had a geo tracker a few years ago with a 4 cyl in it, would be leery of getting a bigger heavier vehicle with a similiar engine. Maybe they get a bit more power nowadays.

We raised our average palm trimming prices by 20%. We charge $60 a coconut palm if trimmed at least every 6 months. It gets prorated plus an additional $2 for each month after that. So a coconut with 8 months growth would be $84. Gone are the days when we would trim a coconut palm for $35.

Supposedly the 4 is geared nicely, and gets great gas milage.

the 6 cylinder engine is an American idea, gets only 11% more power with a huge drop in fuel economy.

I think its just the american way to put a bigger engine in it. Not really that is anybetter, just has a bigger motor, so people tend to migrate towards that.

I'll take fuel economy over Hp anyday, but especially now.

We are looking into buying my wife a Mazda 5. If we do I'm going to park my 3/4 ton at the yard and start driving her Focus around town. I spend a bundle on fuel just getting my truck back forth from the house to the yard. I'll let the truck sit unless I need to tow some thing with it, but if I need it I won't hesitate to use it.

The guy I share my yard with just traded tree work for an old mini cooper. He's going to restore it and use it for his estimating vehicle

Back