Funky chain,What is it?

• Thread starter sothere
  • Start date
  • Replies 26
  • Views 4K
S

sothere

A friend of mine had a whole roll of this that he sold back some years ago,this is all thats left.Don't know what the pitch is will edit if I find calipers.Appears to be .370 so i'm going with 3/8
What is it?

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

It looks like what they used to call 'scratcher chain'. I'm gonna guess 1/2" on the pitch. Al or Magnus or one of the other old timer saw collectors will be along soon to give you the lowdown.

Looks like the normal shaped cutters are filed to something like 10/15 degrees ish. Might be a ripping chain for milling and those funky cutters are like rakers on the chains fron yesteryear?

pure guess work though

I don't know the correct name for it but I have one on a 10-10 Mac .That chain is 3/8" .050 . You sharpen the regular teeth at 30 degrees or whatever and the rakers straight accross .

You might be able to track it down on Mike Acres site--chainsaw collectors corner ,under the chain section .

So, the wide cutters score the wood and the regular cutters clean it out. There are sawblades something like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The fella sold it at a county fair.
Demonstrated it by cutting a 16" wafer of ash plunging the bar in the ground running then cutting the ash again with no discernable difference.
No buried utility lines were harmed during this demonstration:O

If I get a chance today I'll see if I can find any numbers on the chain on that little Mac .Maybe that will help solve the mystery .

When Alaskan mills first started coming out, like Granberg and Sperber mills, there was a lot of experimentation to find a good ripping chain. Perhaps this chain had something to do with that?

Granberg ripper or at least the ones I've seen looks about like "planer " chain .

The top plate has been cut off with the sides sharpened at about 10-15 degrees and every third tooth filed at 90 degress to act as a chip clearer .Actually more like a sawdust clearer because they won't pull chips just dust . Smooth cut but slow as mollassis in January .

This was sold asmany things like Kolve, Limmery, and V-Pak.
Manufactuer is belived to be the same: Atlas chain CO.

I never tried it my self, but many on CSCF sold this and a couple is still stuck with this chain.

It had a tendency to pinch in the cut!
Surprice, ha!

It is not ripping chain, but they tried to sell it as that too, but it is too wide in kerf and pinched in cut there too.

These winged cutters is what cuses the troubble.
.311 Pitch is just a tiny bit less than .325 and is not used to day as far as I know..

I looked at the stuff and got a few pictures which I'll put on later.I still have to use the other 'puter for that because I haven't figured out what the problem on this machine is .

I was mistaked about the angles .The version I have says 50 on the driver which most likely indicates 50 thou driver width ,no more numbers .

The stuff is round filed with a 7/32" file and all cutters straight across . This to me would indicate it pulls dust instead of chips but I really have no idea as I've never cut with it .

If this stuff was sold during the late 60's early 70's it would correspond with the age of the Mac 10-10 it's mounted on .One of several I own .This one I've never even started .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I looked at the stuff and got a few pictures which I'll put on later.I still have to use the other 'puter for that because I haven't figured out what the problem on this machine is .

I was mistaked about the angles .The version I have says 50 on the driver which most likely indicates 50 thou driver width ,no more numbers .

The stuff is round filed with a 7/32" file and all cutters straight across . This to me would indicate it pulls dust instead of chips but I really have no idea as I've never cut with it .

If this stuff was sold during the late 60's early 70's it would correspond with the age of the Mac 10-10 it's mounted on .One of several I own .This one I've never even started .

The example I have is .50 gauge and marked 50 on the drivers as well.
3/8 pitch.
Say Al how about putting that loop on a running saw and giving it a whirl for us;)

Pics

The chain and old saw plus the new to me baby truck .Danged truck is too nice for me ,not enough dents . I almost hate to use it . If I get a chance next week I'll give that chain a test run .

Attachments

• super splitter 001.jpg
    super splitter 001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 79
  • super splitter 002.jpg
    super splitter 002.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 78
  • super splitter 003.jpg
    super splitter 003.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for the vote of confidence but deep down I'm nothing more than a flat land hillbilly without an accent ,well sort of .;)

I ran the stuff today on anoher 10-10 Mac
The first I ran was Oregon ramped raker chisel ,had a number 25 on the cutter . It cut just like regular chisel ,even square chips ,fairly fast .

Next I ran this odd ball stuff .It cut about like chipper chain ,not nearly as fast as the chisel .

I had anticipated this stuff would throw dust but I was wrong ,french fries ,fluff . The double teeth sever the fiber at the same time on each side and the cross single tooth rolls it up and spits it out .

First pic is the chisel with the shavings ,second is the other stuff

Attachments

• Odd chain 001.jpg
    Odd chain 001.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Odd chain 004.jpg
    Odd chain 004.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 51
No I didn't .I wittled away on that chunk of maple right behind the saw in the picture . I think it was dropped in May or June .

I turned loose the saw and grabbed a handfull of chips as they came off for a type of comparison .Cross grain not ripping .

I'll rip a little with it to see how it does .

Back