Fuel tank on chipper leaking

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
Our chuck and duck has developed a small leak on one corner of the fuel tank. I tried to fix it using JBWelds Wetweld which is supposed to work on fuel tanks but I couldn't get it to work. As I see it, I have two options. One is to remove the tank and weld the crack and replace the tank. I am not real excited about welding a gas tank, but hey, everyone's gotta die some time. The other option that I saw was to just use a marine type gas tank and strap it to the chipper and connect the fuel line to it. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with using a marine gas tank to run a V8 engine off of it? I am looking at getting a 6 gallon tank from Fleet Farm for about $30. To me this seems like the easiest solution, although it might not be totally legal.

baby in armresponse---- do notnot weld it! kablamo!!!!!!! water in tank will not prevent explosion from what ive heard several places.

318la v8 chrystler in a wayne 1975 cnd--6 gal marine tank--legal??? mine works fine. can u get a larger tank in there?

does it not need to be filled w an inert gas, carl? maybe argon???

Treedimensional told me of a guy up canadaway that blew himself and a whole polebarn up.

A welding shop might do it, or fab up a tank. So far, plastic hasnt been a problem for going ontwo years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fwiw, the fuel tank is about 2ft long by 18" wide by 9" high. It's connected by 4 bolts and that's about it. I could get essentially all the gas out very easily.

SST, are you saying that your chipper is run off of a red marine kind of gas tank?

Try US Plastics. They have just about that size as a stock tank. 12 gal. I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to find the same exact size.

Ditto. A marine supply house would be worth a try...not for a portable tank like y'all were talking about before, rather for a tank designed to be built in.

I guess I say a red plastic one in a pic once and that's what I have been thinking of. Cost is also an issue. Since this is our backup chipper, I don't really want to spend more than $150. I looked at Northern Tool, Fleet Farm, Tractor Supply and kept coming up empty. The only marine store around here is West Marine and the other doubt they would have anything under $150.

I've welded tanks and also repaired them with fiber glass cloth .Either way you have to rinse them with plenty of water because you need to grind the area clear to bare metal .A belt sander would work I suppose .

Just take the tank to the car wash and run a couple bucks worth of water through it .

FWIW If your not comfortable welding it yourself don't it'll be thin metal and you may make things worse, maybe check around I would think for $150 you could find someone to repair it.

I run a marine on my little chipper just fine and replace it every so often... I bought my last replacement at NAPA. Might wanna check and see what they can order.

The metal on the tank is definitely not thin. Nothing on this chipper is made from thin metal. I am more concerned with blowing myself up, but I am not really that concerned about that either. I am almost there nking that I could go to our welding shop and have them fab one up cheaper than buying one. I will check out NAPA, thanks. I will also be checking out West Marine because their prices are not as crazy as I originally thought.

:/:

MVC-015F.JPG

Do you have rust in your tank, inside or out. IIRC, your cnd is older, and you live in a winter salting area. will this repair hold you for a long time, or could it be the beginning of nickel and diming? My tank was having interior rust problems before changing.

What is the downside of a plastic? Is there a static electricity concern? plastic won't last in UV, and is most likely all around less durable, but can be cheap and replaced without technical welding skills?

My only concern with the plastic is what the DOT would say if they saw it while I was at a weigh station. I just can't imagine that being compliant. I like almost everything else about it.

Lucky for me, though I travel on I-5, I don't go through any weigh stations.

I feel like one of the small vermeers 620 or 625 might have a plastic tank?????

Back