Ford 450 help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The salesman told us $6k difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ya"ll talk like diesels are these maintence hogs. I had my 99 diesel for six years and 40,000 miles and installed 8- $10 dollar glow plugs myself, a $60 fuel bowl heater, $20 worth of fuel drain o rings. Those were the only things diesel specific. That was repaired.

My daily driver diesel is three years and almost 40,000 and havent replaced anything. Water pump has been squeaking the whole time but again, not diesel specific repair.

I know that wont change your mind, but others reading might be put off by diesel. I wont own another gas truck unless its a toyota. Gas just doesnt have the snuff to tow what i do through these hills. M new diesel is getting 11mpg loaded ( 8 yd chip and 6500-7000 chipper) and with me pedal to the metal breaking it in still. 15 mpg empty no load. A landscaper bought same truck gas. 7 mpg empty.

Although i dont buy a diesel for milaege, but just saying.

Both trucks, chippers never froze, or were unable to start. Only truck that froze was the bucket as it had water in tank from washing and installing gasket crooked.

Again, not tryin to sway your decision, obviously your mind is made up, just for others to chew on.

You will get the best chassis price buying direct, i heard that from three people now who had a truck built.

Same on our durmax diesel, the only expensive thing we had to do were the injectors here recently, but that was after 7 years and 140k miles. And we've pulled some heavy shit with our 3500. It's a bullet proof engine with a ton of power. I've ridden in a brand new f350 gas, 2011 or 2012, I want to say it had the V8, was not impressed at all. Like Brendon I'll never own a gas for work trucks unless it's something small like a 1500 or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, we bought all diesel at first and we are now getting rid of all of them and replacing with gas. If we had a different yard/storage, it might be a different story.

I am seeing that it will probably be cheapest right from Arbortech but I wanted to ask to see if there was something I was missing. I'm pretty jacked up about having a new chip truck and a pretty much new chipper at the same time.

I purchased a Ford F-450 dump truck about 8 months ago. It's a 2000 year model, with the 7.3 liter diesel, auto transmission, dual rear wheels, and 4x4. The diesel has started for me without a problem, even up here in North Dakota. I do have a block heater. I wouldn't attempt to start the truck without first warming it up a bit. I like to use the Knipco kerosene heater in addition to the block heater, as that thing will warm up the transmission, rear end, differentials, wheel bearings, etc.

As far as 4x4 goes, I don't think it would be of much use to you. I'm not all that impressed with it. The dual rears make traveling through the snow all but impossible. I think you'd be better off with a set of chains for the rear wheels.......though they aren't very convenient to install and remove. I haven't tried the 4x4 in the mud yet, but I have a feeling that it wouldn't be much different than in the snow.

My used truck once had a snow plow mounted out front. I can see that the plow was very hard on the front end parts. The steering linkages and tie rod ends are all but gone. This is a common problem on any vehicle with a snow plow mounted to it......it's not just a Ford thing.

You'll love the heavy frame that Ford puts in their heavy trucks. There is nothing out there than can compare to the Ford truck frame. It's HEAVY DUTY. The differentials and axles are also very beefy. I'm impressed with every part of the drive train. Every component is large, heavy, and built for hard work. The body is great. Doors and windows are tight. More importantly, to me, is the ride. WOW. That heavy dump truck rides like a Cadillac. I'm very impressed with the comfortable ride and the amazing amount of cabin heat.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new Ford truck.

Joel

My 550 4x4 gets around like nothing in the snow/ice. Like any vehicle tires make all the difference.

I love my diesel but a big torquey gas motor would get it done too.

Gassers aren't bad. Diesels make more power obviously. Gas engines last a lot longer then they used to though. The old days of replacing the engine at 100 some thousand seem to have passed.

Not that it matters much as far as the engine goes but it looks like we might end up with a 550 now. Apparently it's difficult to find a 2014 F450. We will be able to get a 2014 f550 for less than a 2015 F450.

Back