Fishing!

Jeff,

I see a few guys attach 2x4's on the back of their boats, (like a rake in the water) to help disturb the water. For some reason, it seems to attract the muskies! Most are caught within 10-20' behind the back of the boat!

Lake St.Clair is a shallow lake and full of muskies, bass, walleye, sturgon & perch to name a few. I would think that you'd have no trouble getting fish with fly gear! Find a weed bed and work the edges for the musky that are sitting in ambush for unsuspecting prey.

If jigging for walleye, there is only one rule to follow, 'keep your line vertical' or you will not catch fish! This is easily achieved by using your trolling motor.

BTW, thats a sweet boat your getting! Sure puts piece-O-crap puddle jumper to shame!

But then again, with my 15' aluminum w/20hp johnson, I can get into areas a bigger boat can't. ...like Crystal Bays hidden harbour and the shollows at the north end of Crystal Bay. It's a very shollow weedy place that hold early season pike!;) I find using a weedless lure like a 'johnson silver minnow' works great but fly fishing with a streemer should do just as well.

Later, HC

Jeff,

I see a few guys attach 2x4's on the back of their boats, (like a rake in the water) to help disturb the water. For some reason, it seems to attract the muskies! Most are caught within 10-20' behind the back of the boat!

Lake St.Clair is a shallow lake and full of muskies, bass, walleye, sturgon & perch to name a few. I would think that you'd have no trouble getting fish with fly gear! Find a weed bed and work the edges for the musky that are sitting in ambush for unsuspecting prey.

If jigging for walleye, there is only one rule to follow, 'keep your line vertical' or you will not catch fish! This is easily achieved by using your trolling motor.

BTW, thats a sweet boat your getting! Sure puts piece-O-crap puddle jumper to shame!

But then again, with my 15' aluminum w/20hp johnson, I can get into areas a bigger boat can't. ...like Crystal Bays hidden harbour and the shollows at the north end of Crystal Bay. It's a very shollow weedy place that hold early season pike!;) I find using a weedless lure like a 'johnson silver minnow' works great but fly fishing with a streemer should do just as well.

Later, HC

Thanks HC. I'm looking forward to hitting the water in a few weeks. When I first looked into LSC and it's fishing, I got a bit worried because all I saw was trolling for muskie, and I'm a caster...as in my avatar. In fact, I don't own a conventional rod anymore. Nothing against it, but I've gotten away from it in the past 10-15 years. I'm looking forward to hitting the back bays and finding the fish.

And this boat'll get into 12" of water, and I think I'm going to put a Power Poll on it, so I think it'll work well in the skinny water.

You see a guy in a green Ranger with a black lab fly casting....I guarantee it'll be me.

Attachments

• casting4jcr.jpg
    casting4jcr.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 7
Oh yeah, thanks HC. I've been talking to Steve for a long time now. He's the guy who convinced me to go big and buy a center console. I was going to get a Ranger bass boat, and he nudged me towards a longer boat with more power. He's a cool guy.

Are you a member on LSCN? I'm "esoxfly" on there.

http://www.lakestclair.net/

No I'm not a member.

Just been doing a little looking around for ya and thought this Steve fellow is one of the best at what he offers. Also there is some good info in his web page I thought you might enjoy.

I do have a low end Mithcells fly rod I bought a few years ago. Never really did much with it other than play around in the back yard. Thats fun in itself as far as I'm concerned.

I did catch some blue gills with it once but put it away after seeing my youngest daughter scoop up a net full of fish after baiting the water from the boat with crushed 'Doritos' chips! :what:

HC

I appreciate you looking around for me. After I got my orders I spent days on Google looking into LSC. You're right, Steve does know what he's doing, and he does have a sweet website. Talking to him just makes me want to get out there all the faster!

Ha, got me there on my sentence structure.

He doesn't cast very well...he doesn't have any thumbs!

Well my friend... after I saw you cast, and the friggin' awesome lessons you gave me... I'm sure you could have your dog casting in no time...

:)

Gary

Thanks Buddy. I don't wanna toot my horn, but I think I fly cast pretty well. Makes me feel good when someone agrees! ;)

I'm headed out right now to do some catfishing right now. You guys will know if I do any good cause there'll be pics posted shortly after I get home.;)

Well, it took a few hours but it was worth it. I was about to call it a night cause I was starting to nod off and then BAM.... it was game on baby!:D

Took me about 10 min to get him in but it seemed like a lot longer. That was an awesome fight.... and I won.:thumbup: Anyway, he came in at a nice plump 33 inches and 17.5 lbs.

Attachments

• 17.5 lbs 5-17-08 001.jpg
    17.5 lbs 5-17-08 001.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 17.5 lbs 5-17-08 002.jpg
    17.5 lbs 5-17-08 002.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 10
Heat up the oil and get the batter ready!

Not this one, I got a few pics and threw him back. It was late and I was pretty satisfied after the battle he gave me. I guess you could say he earned the right to swim another day.... and I didn't want to deal with a big-ass kitty in the middle of the night.;)

Thanks guys! Gotta love catching big fish less than a half mile from home.:D

Not this one, I got a few pics and threw him back. It was late and I was pretty satisfied after the battle he gave me. I guess you could say he earned the right to swim another day.... and I didn't want to deal with a big-ass kitty in the middle of the night.;)

Seriously? Is all that blood his? :?

Back