MS440 and MS460 Barn Rebuilds

Hmm, nothing comes up in your post Tinyhulk as far as reference to seal pullers.
Have a friend who rebuilds saws (I taught him most of what he knows :), ), and he has the stihl seal puller tool, and loves it.

I wouldnt recommend the china copy of it tho.

yep cheap chinga one.
from those I know who have gotten the cheapie, they ended up either getting the proper stihl one, or messing about with the feet that engage the seals, as some of them were less than adequate to do the job.
Some had success, others did not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Awesome. Probably gonna order the stihl one as long as I keep finding saws to work on. My parts come in Thursday. It’s exciting 😁

Pass on chinesium per every porter I've talked to...or do lots of homework. Record timing numbers on stock cylinder and check on new AM ones...and learn what defects to watch out for. Plating, port shape, etc.

Lots to learn from this guy. I haven't watched this vid yet.

...and this guy:

Good used cylinders are an option. I don't get used parts from just anywhere though, I get them from known members of forums.

Seal pullers...I've used poky things like an awl, wood screws, etc.

Disassembling and reassembling cases - if you're a bit handy and lucky, you can do it with heat, cold, and a deal blow.

Lots of guys can hit mastermind's timing numbers...and his saws will still beat theirs at a GTG ;-)

Al gave the trick to pull the seals out with a drywall screw. Cemented steel and pointy. A litle tap with a hammer to engage the tip in the midle of the rubber (thin steel under it, easy to pocke through), rotate the screw a bit to secure it and just pull it. It works well, if you don't want tu use the seal again. The screw doesnt touch neither the cranshaft or the housing.

Back