Felling Larch

I don't know about double cutting the face, and granted, and there is a loss of time, but swinging around the back of a tree with a sharp aggressive cutting saw and making a good even hinge, is a cool process that requires some decent "sawsmanship" (word I just made up :)).

sawyersmanshipness

Some clearance guys I worked with were all about short bars because they would have to pack in to do easements, 16" was about as long as they would go.

It's a lot easier to fall with a long bar though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gosh, seeing those county's brings a tear to my eye. Looks like 2 1164's, one with a fixed igland, the other with a 3pl winch?

Yes mate 1164's, one double drum 8t hydraulic and the other 6.5t Fransguard. Still good machines in the right setting but a liitle sparse on creature comforts for some:D

Squish no worries over different ideas or bars just what were all used to I suppose. The 372 is on a 18" and the 254 on a 13" (or tooth pick to you:lol:) at the minute. The 254 was just used for dressing/snedding out some of the smaller ones and with Larch alot of the lower branches break off during felling so its easier with the shorter bar to zip up to knock off pegs quicker than a longer bar. Most were just over 20+ inches so the 18 was a good allrounder for felling and snedding. Alot had a slight lean so it was easy to bore them out (Larch can pull centres easy) and back cut out.

Jay glad you noted the huskies ( I did use a 460 as well some days but thats just between us!;)

Attachments

• Dan phone 3 147.jpg
    Dan phone 3 147.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Dan phone 3 152.jpg
    Dan phone 3 152.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Dan phone 3 155.jpg
    Dan phone 3 155.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 8
What do you guys consider a "long bar"? I'm thinking above 24", but I may have short arms. :) 24" seems more like a standard length that is a starting point on the larger saws.

In my world 24 inches is still quite a short bar.

28 to 36 would be sort of medium.

42 and above would be long.

Over 72 is tooooo long :D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Might be talking out of turn for some uk guys but to me (considering the 50-60cc size saw is pretty popular here) 15-18" is norm, 24"-28" is medium and above that large. Just my opinion and considering the general tree size us guys work in. Where's Stig when you want some back up eh!:(
Just for you Burnham this is me (looking misrable for some reason perhaps its the make of saw:lol:) felling with a small guide bar!

Attachments

• Dan phone 3 007.jpg
    Dan phone 3 007.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 8
Back