F-150 Fuel Pump

TC3

Headache !
I have a question about my Ford.
It has dual fuel tanks, both with a 15 gallon capacity. Each tank has its own fuel pump.
Fuel pump ONE (closest to the cab) went out about 3 months ago. I have the luxury or fuel tank TWO.
Fuel tank ONE was inadvertently FILLED, and so now I haul around the extra weight, nevermind the $50 in fuel sloshing around.
We've tried cyphoning (sp.?)... that was a clusterf**k.
What to do ?

You can buy a good siphon hose for around 10 bucks.
Easy to use and no fuel in your mouth.

I've owned Ford trucks all my life and have not been able to syphon fuel out of one since my 1971 F100 with the tank in the cab behind the seat. All the Fords have baffles or screens in the filler neck to prevent syphoning.

I also have had issues with the in-tank pumps and also the in-tank gauge sending units before. You either gotta drop the tank or lift the bed in order to get to the access panel on the top of the tank.

If the truck is an old beater you can poke a hole in the tank to drain it. Although you will be doing more damage to the truck than the value of the fuel.

Dunno how to solve the prob for you TC but when I bought my Ford I was told to run the fuel tanks to 1/4 full then fill them up. Something about the pump being cooled by the liquid in the tank and such.

I've owned Ford trucks all my life and have not been able to syphon fuel out of one since my 1971 F100 with the tank in the cab behind the seat. All the Fords have baffles or screens in the filler neck to prevent syphoning.

I also have had issues with the in-tank pumps and also the in-tank gauge sending units before. You either gotta drop the tank or lift the bed in order to get to the access panel on the top of the tank.

If the truck is an old beater you can poke a hole in the tank to drain it. Although you will be doing more damage to the truck than the value of the fuel.

I have a 96 f150 and I have successfully siphoned fuel from the rear tank. Never tried the front one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Skwerl has it the closest.
There are so many twists & turns, gates & whatnot that siphoning is a trick at best.
I may end up puncturing a hole in the tank >>> bummer.
It's mostly hauling around the extra weight mid-vehicle that has me bummed. I'd like to just be rid of it.

Is it really that noticeable?
Geez Id just write it off and forget about it.

I got stuck in a driveway t'night. My tires are shat, no surprise... But I wondered if having 150 pds. of fuel out of my front tank might've helped ???

Having less weight is not going to help you with traction, in fact the exact opposite. To bad the tank got filled, as empty it's relatively easy to drop the tank and replace the pump. I would not punch a hole in it. I'd use a jack and lower the tank replace the pump and away you go. I've done it on a two tank Ford set-up and on a chevy. And the chevy was on the side of the road with half a tank and two guys, not a big deal.

Might of helped?

Get you stuck or unstuck?

Sounds like the tires are the problem. Xtra weight is good for traction in the snow, but if your tires are shit.......

Yeah, my bad for thinking it would've made a difference in 6" of slush.
Definitely the tires... & that has to wait.
In the meantime, I'll take Squisher's advice & check out used fuel pumps. Can't be that difficult to switch 'em out ? How do you empty it then ?

You empty it once you get it down on the ground.

Screw off the pump assembly, siphon out the fuel, install new pump, hoist tank with new pump back under bed, install straps and refill. Pretty simple actually.

Theresa I wouldn't bother with used for a fuel pump, just shop around for the best price on a new one. That's why I said a jack if you can't syphon it out you're gonna need a jack (or two for balance) to lower the tank down. My Chevy was half full (one big tank) and we did it without a jack but it was a pita squirming around under there lowering it.

Got it, Squish. Thanks.
It still comes down to new tires or a fuel pump right now >>> But "High Season" is just 'round the corner !!!

I vote tires also, all the gas in that tank won't do ya anygood if you can't go anywhere. :D

Back