Everything Must Go

Canuck

Rogue Trader
Well after alot of thought and soul searching I've decided that its time to get out of the tree business. Long story short its whats best for myself and my family and we need a change. Everything is for sale. I'll list some stuff right now and then later in the week when I have time to go through all my shat I'll post more.

2008 Morbark Blizzard 14 w/ `115hp Cat 270 hours, 2500 lbs hydraulic winch, spare tire, 4 sets of knives one brand new.
$30,000

1992 Morbark 290 w/ 100hp Cummins, hours unkown. She aint pretty but she gets the job done.
$6,000

Ramrod 900 Mini Skid with smooth bucket, 27hp Kholer.
$6,000

Branch Manager Attachments Grapple
$1500

Thats it for now. I'll get the rest up later. Prices are in US dollars. Canadian residents must pay GST.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow Ben, big decision. Whats the future hold for you businesswise? I thought you had your area sewn up?

I do have my area sewn up. My reasons for leaving have nothing to do with a lack of work and clientele. Businesswise? Not really 100% sure, I'm leaning heavily towards real estate and looking at some other options. I may go back to school.

Have you thought about selling the business complete? You might have already, but with you having a good client list and city contracts, I would have thought it would be worth $$$.

I talked with a banker friend and he basically told me that right now banks will not finance good will in a service business. Everything has to be asset backed or they won't touch it. My foreman is very interested in buying the business but I would have to finance him and I'm not prepared to do that. I might keep the old chipper and the one ton around and work out a deal where he gets the name number and some basic gear in return for me getting a x percentage of his production for x number of years. Frankly though I'd really rather just sell the shit and be done with it.

I talked with a banker friend and he basically told me that right now banks will not finance good will in a service business. Everything has to be asset backed or they won't touch it. My foreman is very interested in buying the business but I would have to finance him and I'm not prepared to do that. I might keep the old chipper and the one ton around and work out a deal where he gets the name number and some basic gear in return for me getting a x percentage of his production for x number of years. Frankly though I'd really rather just sell the shit and be done with it.

You might catch someone who isn't borrowing the money from a bank. I didn't when I bought mine.

I'm sorry to hear that, Ben. I certainly wish you well with whatever career you choose.

And unless you absolutely positively need all the money right now, why not finance part of the deal for your foreman? You may end up getting much more out of the gig than trying to sell the equipment separately and you can also charge him a higher interest rate than you'd earn with the money sitting in a savings account. I would have preferred a cash sale on my old bucket truck but I'll end up with more money carrying the note.

Hate to see you leave the biz, but I do hope you happy and safe times in whatever you choose to go into.

Dang Ben, best of luck with whatever your future holds.

About six months late or I probably would've bought most of your equipment :cry:. Woulda saved a tidy buck over shelling out for new too.

Big decision...I think Darin might have something to say about this though!!!

I promise to be good this time. I sure do hate to hear about guys giving up the business especially when it isn't for lack of work. Would you have been happier if you stayed smaller? I plan to stay small as long as I can and to try to enjoy myself. This week and last I have been dropping my daughter off at school in the morning at 9 am, I cannot imagine other work that would allow me the flexibility.

I hate hearing this also, 2 good guys giving it up lately. Not to reassurring be young n'all. It seems like you must have had a couple crews, that's alot of equipment there. Maybe headaches? I dunno.

I am with Darin, staying small with me and a groundie, a few days a week. Don't owe much on the equipment so picking and choosing my work how I want is nice.

Like I said, good luck in your new adventure.

Good luck Ben!

Your decision was not taken lightly Im sure.

No matter what others say, I dont think anyless of you for making that decision.

You havent given up, your simply moving on is all!

Wow, I hope everything will come together for ya bro!

Don't sell all your climbing gear and chainsaws. Even though you are going another way with your life you can still do a side job here and there when money gets tight.

Oh I'll keep enough of the basics around to be able to the odd side job if I need to/ feel like it. Even if its just for rec climbing or taking care of my own trees. I might move up to edmonton and if so I'm sure Craig won't let me get away with out the odd day of contract climbing.

If someone buys both the mini and the grapple I'll throw in the tandem axle 16' flat deck trailer. I'll tell you now its not the prettiest trailer that ever lived but it can haul both the mini and a big pile of logs at the same time.

Good luck Ben!

Your decision was not taken lightly Im sure.

No matter what others say, I dont think anyless of you for making that decision.

You havent given up, your simply moving on is all!

I don't think any less of either of you, in fact I respect you both. It is discouraging though to see good guys hang it up.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do in the future.

This business takes a lot out of you, and your family. Sometimes it's not always worth it.

Back