Everything Must Go

Good luck with whatever you chose to do in the future.

This business takes a lot out of you, and your family. Sometimes it's not always worth it.

I must be doing it wrong. I think its pretty easy compared to most 9 to 5 jobs. :?

Growing a company can be tough. Tree Guy often works 60 - 70 hour weeks. If I want to see him I go pricing with him a lot of the time. There is never a day off. A completely free weekend is non-existent. It's hard to leave town and trust that the crew is going to take care of things. If there is a cash flow crunch in the company then it is the family that feels it, not the company/employees.

I'm not saying it's not without it's benefits - we couldn't go back to the 9 to 5 grind. Owning a company, though, effects the whole family in ways that most 9 to 5 jobs just don't. Not every family can do it, and do it long-term.

Our plan/hope is that as we grow the business things will ease up, but it takes time.

Dang! If I worked 60 - 70 hours a week, I'd have to hire another employee...

...just to count all my money!!! :P

What is the specs on it. I can't even afford a T-shirt after fixing my boom truck but I would like to dream for a second.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
P6160056.jpg

Copy and Paste From My Quote.

55” x 33” rigid infeed chute with an 18” wide x 14” high throat opening and
reversible feed works controls.
14” Chipping Capacity
Single (top) horizontal feed wheel measuring 20” wide x 18” diameter with hydraulic lift assist, manually applied hydraulic down pressure and Automatic Reversing Feed System.

20” diameter drum with fan air-impeller and two (2) dual-edged chipper knives
31-gallon lockable fuel tank with and sight gauge
14-gallon lockable hydraulic oil tank
Live hydraulics including: ball valve, pump, motor, and V-20 valve
360-degree manual cranking, height-adjustable, swivel discharge chute with adjustable
flipper end to deflect chips
2” x 4” tubular frame with 4”square main center beam and telescoping tongue

6000# electric braking axle with electric break-away actuator
LT245/75R 16 Radial tires with rims
License plate holder with light
Steel battery box
Bolt-on resin tool box
Clasp hooks on safety chains
Registration and operator guide holder
5000# tongue jack and stationary foot pad
Bolt-on Aluminum Diamond Plate Fenders
Sealed heavy duty tail lights
Engine fully enclosed with fines screen over radiator
2-1/2” lunet ring with flat 7-pin electrical connector
Caterpillar Tier II, Diesel Engine with Pre-Cleaner, 115-HP @ 2300 RPM

Spare LT 245/75R x 16 Tire and Rim with Spare Tire Mount

Variable Speed Flow Control
Folding Infeed Tray

2500 Hydraulic Winch

Price: $37,023.00

Well, Spoke too fast. The old chipper and both trucks are still for sale.

So I won't get into the details, but.....

I'm not getting out anymore. I've decided to give it 2 more years and then re-evaluate. I'm down to myself and a groundie and I'm going to keep it that way. The past 3 weeks working this way have been exceptionally profitable and low stress and I'm enjoying myself again.

I got rid of the excess too. It has made work more fun. I Started going after more plant health care contracts. And have been enjoying that alot. We have actually gotten more done in a week with one less person.

I too went smaller this year and got more done with less. More profits mean more taxes, but staying small gives more freedom. I have kids and my wife and freedom to enjoy it. Yes there are still days when I am all work and no play and too dang tire to play. But, when the new baby is born (Jan or Feb 09) I will be right there at their side and getting some quality time in. :)
I do have to say that having a business partner I can trust goes a long way in getting time too. We can take days as we need it and alternate. I am the climber, so I have to schedule accordingly, but climbing aint all we do... :)
Good luck Ben.

Last edited:
for my landscape business, I am losing my long term part time guy at the end of this month, he has been with me about 5 years, 2 to 5 days a week during spring summer and fall. I dont have a backup guy in line yet, too bad, we made a good team. Fit in the niche of taking the jobs too small for a big company and too big for a one man show. Not sure how I am going to tackle things yet, thinking about trying to find a new part time guy.

I am not looking forward to going back to 'do it all myself' guy. :(

Heart out to ya Paul, I know I would have a hard time to go it alone here. I been lucky so far with my help in a very limited resource of a community. Work ethic aint what it used to be and they all mountain time here. Slow if they even show. But my crew shows and performs. I am very greatful and lucky that way. My best friend is my business partner and is incredable. I truly am greatful.
And I too enjoy that niche. The thing is, the more risky jobs I give to the guys that are better equipped with cranes and such, and I take the the ones I know I will like to do. Heck they refer me also to people that they can't fit in, very nice relationship with the competition, more like a brother hood I think.. It works for everyone.

Last edited:
I would hate to go it alone. You need at least one other guy around.

paul, would a mini do most of your helpers work? prolly pay for one in less than 2 years wages for a guy

Willie, not really. my helper is good enough to do work on his own, hedge trimming and the like. Basically I get him to do the stuff I dont wanna do, and I do the other stuff. It is also a boon to have an extra set of hands during install work, especially when there is a big heavy tree or more to take off the truck bed and such.

I do about 60% landscape design and install, the rest is pruning work and most of that is hedges and bushes. a few trees a year. a machine wouldnt really help me much vs a person at this point.

:(

Back