Echo power pruner

Ax-Man

Don't make me chop you
Since we have a thread going on about the HT 75. I figure this is a good time to ask about Echo's pole saw on a stick.

Anyone have one??? If so how does it hold up to commercial use and compare to a Sthil.

I was at an Echo dealer to buy a blower. I got to fiddle with Echo's pruner in the showroom. Their are many features on the Echo I like. The handle is the main feature. I used to have the Technic Tool version before Echo bought the patient. In addition to the handle the Echo has more reach. I have my reservations about the five foot extension they offer.

The Echo has 10 cc's less displacement on the engine which might make it weak for commercial use . They had a vid on their website showing a stupid harness and the guy making a cut on a limb and that engine sounded awful to me.

I am not switching sides so to speak but just wondering if having an Echo pruner as a back-up spare tool would be worth it and being able to reach higher to save some climbing or pole saw work might make it worth having around.

I have an HT 75 and a HT101. Both are good good machines but have their pro's and con's. The 75 has the speed for making good clean cuts. The 101 turns slower chain speed and is good for doing larger limb work where looks aren't so important but is heavier to operate if you need to work it vertical.

Would the Echo be worth the money to spend on it???

The blower I bought has held up pretty good so far. We have been really leaning on it just to see how it holds up. But it is just not quite so powerful as the BG 65 it replaced after a truck ran over it. I have a feeling it would be the same with the pruner. It will work good but not like a Sthil.

I think your last paragraph sums it up well. And if you need a lighter weight polesaw for small stuff, why do you need something with a motor? The Jameson yellow fiberglass poles are $50 each and the polesaw head and adapter will set you back another $25. Of all the different brands of blades out there, I'm currently quite fond of the Marvin hook tip blades. About $15 each and they last for months while cutting as fast and easy as a Zubat hand saw.

I think with two power pruners you would be wasting your money buying a third.

I have used the echo pole saw quite a few times. As with Husky and Stihl.. The reach is great. The heavier pole will stand up to commercial use. The motor worked fine with a sharp chain. Cut all day with it and my 40cc, 40cc was a hair faster. Echo makes torque producing motors for their weed eaters and Pole saws. First one I used I did not like cause the choke was in a bad spot and would choke out when you raised the saw bumping your hip. They have since altered and put the choke on the back. Heavy Sucka though.... Harness worthless and strap too. Worked best free hand. Keep tylonol or something handy if you use it all day though.
We been shopping for pole saws for a year and get to try them out for free. I am leaning toward the Husky that breaks down, Echo does not break down on the larger saw as I recall.
Echo good cause chances are, you won't bend shaft, Husky and stihl lighter shaft housing so there is a risk there, lighter weight though. Stihl more expensive to fix if shaft bent.
5 foot extension.... Hey love the reach, just dont ask me to run it a lot... dang thing is heavy enough with out the extension....
I do like the echo, I just cant work with it all day and the thing takes all the bed of the truck too. Nice that it comes with a one year commercial warranty too.
Hope this helps...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Your right Brian, a third pruner would be an overkill when a pole saw would work just as well. Even though I hate using one.

I guess I have to curb my tool buying phobia. :lol:

Most guys who hate using a pole saw don't keep sharp, straight blades on them. For cuts under 2" they are much less work than a power pruner, and they give you a much better cut also.

Here's what I use, the Marvin hook tip blade. Buy yourself a half dozen and keep a few in the truck. When the blade gets bent or dull, throw it away and slap a new one on there! You may need to buy a locknut to hold the blade on the polesaw head though, the steel is so hard that lock washers won't bite into it and the retaining nut keeps coming loose. :lol:

regular Marvin blade
FM_S20_L.jpg

Marvin hook tip blade
FM_S21_L.jpg

That does help CurSed, I forgot about that feature on the Echo, the shaft being heavier built. I have only bent had one bent shaft in all the time we have had one of these pruners around.

This Echo dealer has a rental on these pruners I might rent one just to see how it works. But I really shouldn't be spending money on another pruner when I have other things needing attention.

Are those tri-cut teeth on those blades Brian?? I use those Marvin pole heads and sometimes blades have to be altered to make them fit. Currently I have been using ARS blades for the finer smaller cuts and one of those thick ( Mondo) type blades for coarser cuts and for deadwood.

Compared with the old style Stihl power pole saw the Echo is better.

I have found power pruners to be of great use in crispy cracker dead removals.

A manual one not so much in this situation. Back & forth motion not something I want in a tree like this

I've always used a Fanno Mondo blade because it's so thick, but it seems to dull too quickly. I think I'll give that Marvin blade a shot!

Just sold an almost new echo because they are weak and heavy. Shaft is durable though.

Get the HT131, it rocks. Just dont let knuckleheads use it, a bit fragile.
I love my new one, makes me big bucks on canopy raises.

Axe.... Definitely rent one or see if your dealer has a rental that you can try. If you sometimes tell the dealer you are in the market for one and you are comparing all the different mfgrs... They will often with a lil notice let you try it out with no rental charge to see if they can get a sale. Customers will sometimes flip the bill on the rental if you offer it as an option. My pitch is that if you want it cleaned up higher, I have to rent a longer saw or climb it. Those that don't want to pay the climb rate often will let you pass on the cost of the rental onto them and then you can try it out on their dime... Just charge an hourly labor on top of the saw rental.
Try the dealer thing first. I am lucky in that my dealers here rent saws.... so when I shop, and express it so, the dealer will let me try the rental free for a day.

I have a PPT-260, it is heavy compared to the stihls. However, they do not bend as easy as the stihls. I have had good luck with the echo, it is about 4 years old and starts and runs great. You would not want to run one all day, but when you need it you are glad to have it. It is always on the truck.
I have the 5ft extension for it. It has never been used; I put it on the saw and figured I would never run it with the extra 5ft. Way to top heavy. I guess if someone had a use for the 5ft extension I could be persuaded to part with it.

Back