EAB downed trees

This one sure shows why to be careful cutting leaning ash... Just look at those fibers.
attachment.php

EAB hit Mich. long before it hit this part of Ohio.It would take a couple of years before the ash would get that bad but given enough time they will .

Around here they're still solid as a rock and although dry still good enough for lumber . I'll guess in about 2 more years they're start blowing limbs .

If it weren't so nasty out I'd be back at as I still have quite a few left on my own property to drop .Supposed to get 18 tonight .

What's bad is in these parts which is not what you would call a real wealthy area there are bunchs of dead ones on private property in town .I mean fat ones too .

The insurance companys will not pay unless it falls on a house or something . Problem being is all these hazards and the property owners can't afford to pay for the removals .

Couple more years or a big ice storm it will get bad .On the other hand as I said an ash is pretty tough ,even a dead one so there's some time left .

Al their trick here is to take pictures of the dead tree/trees, then deny any claims associated with the trees failure. The reason they can get away with this is most insurance contracts make the home/property owner liable for maintenance.
Insurance companies are not is business to give money away. :|:

That's true too .Never the less I see it as being a problem in a couple of years in town .Out here in the boondocks if they fall over it isn't that big of a deal other than it might screw up some other trees .

Say though those Mich pics showed some rotten bases which I've found in a few myself .Fact a year ago from this past summer I knocked the top out of a 90 footer with the bucket truck that had ants in both the top and bottom .Two different species .Little biters in the top ,big fat black ones in the bottom .One of those little biting pizz ants in the the top chomped me in the arm and I still have a damned hole from it .:?

I cut up maybe 8-10 feet off the bottom until I got to decent saw log quality .They are nice logs from what I can see .

Back