Dump Trailers

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Hey guys, thought I'd do a seperate thread to avoid confusion. Decided when we get our dump, were just gonna go with a standard one and not a custom one with a platform. Got some quotes for a few around here and wanted some opnions.

Looking at a 7x14, 12000GVW Homesteader at $5500, and a 7x14, 14000GVW GatorMade at $6900. I'm trying to get a quote on a 7x14, 14000GVW HomeSteader to see how it compares. Wondering if the extra payload is worth the money here. The GatorMade also includes a tarp roller, part of some deal going on right now. Mostly its the extra payload and the fact that I've heard GatorMade are some tough trailers. Haven't heard a lot about HomeSteader, know a buddy in town who bought one about 8 months back and he has no complaints so far.

The biggest difference will be the axles and tires. I suspect you could replace both axles for less than the $1400 difference. Lots of local and regional trailer manufacturers since it's not very profitable to transport them across the country. I would begin watching Craigslist and other sources for a used trailer, although with the recent storms in Kansas and other areas of the mid west I would suspect used ones might be scarce for the time being. I paid $3250 for mine (7x14, 14K gvw) and immediately put $800 of tires on it about a year and a half ago. I could easily get $3500-$4000 out of it any time in the foreseeable future, so it's like money in the bank.

I got a quote from allpro, 7x14 14k with 4 ft sides for $5900.

I would go heavy gvw. As you are going to be maxing it out on every trip.

The advice I will give is compare what loads you can haul. I have seen 12k's that had equal payload capacity to 14k's.

Also I am not real fond of tube framed trailers. The frames rot from the inside out. Channel iron is easy to inspect.

I know that my trailer with a full load is a serious workout to haul with my bucket truck. Also be aware that you need a Class A license if you haul a trailer over 10K lbs and your combined rig weighs over 26K lbs. So an F450 and dump trailer can easily put you into Class A territory and the DOT officers love shopping for guys in pickup trucks pulling loaded dump trailers.

Dot around here, has resorted to only stopping rigs that look like they have the means to pay fines.

At least that's the way I feel about it.

It's a shame how most enforcement agencies have evolved into little more than legal extortionists. That's why I live in an unincorporated area.

Back on topic, another thing to pay attention to when shopping for a trailer is how far back the axles are located. On mine they are almost all the way back resulting in excessive tongue weight when loaded. That's why I got it cheap, the previous owner couldn't haul it when it was loaded. He bought a 5th wheel trailer the same size to replace it. Even with my bucket truck to pull it I have to load it toward the back. My Bobcat guy loves loading it heavy in the front and often I'll have to repack it before I can haul it to the dump.

They do that so it doesn't pick up your drive axle when dumping.

I would watch craigslist also, I got mine for $4k

Certainly get the heaviest built trailer you can with the heaviest axles you can.

Did you show your dad pictures of my trailer?

Yep I would go 14k. I have a 7'x14'x14k LoadTrail and that thing has hauled some serious tonnage in it's life so far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah man, pretty sure I did. We're still thinking on what we want to do, so I'll let you know what we decide.

Back