Dumb Question - Wheel Axles

lxskllr

Treehouser
Been pondering a log arch, and wondering what would be used for a wheel. I assume you don't want something spinning directly on a shaft. I'm guessing you have a washer-like stop in the back, and a nut on the front that clamps a bearing race, and the wheel rides on that. I've halfassed looked online at various wheels. What would I expect to receive if I bought one, and how would I mount it?

Last edited:
You can also cut an axle one down if you find one used for cheaper too, but stub axles work great. When i built mine i just used some wheels from harbor freight, never flats designed for a wheelbarrow, and just used the appropriate sized bolt for the axle. You could also buy replacement wheels for an arbor trolley, which are about perfect for loads up to 1k. But trailer hubs would be best, i was keeping it so it will pass thru a gate and be human powered. The bigger the diameter the easier the thing will move.

I'm sure you are thinking you want to build it so it flips up and everything, which is completely overthinking it. If you get some log tongs that have a grab hook, you can simply weld some chains on at different places and then you can move them if you need more leverage or a higher lift. Then you can get 2 grab hooks and put them pin to pin, and then you can use a slip hook logging chain and move other non log things, i use mine all the time to pick stuff up that's too heavy to do by hand and move it around. I'm talking about the "fetching" style, which on mine is used on loads up to about 1k with 2 people on the handle, if you are doing a vehicle mounted one you can use a winch, but that would be way slower for the smaller sized logs (under 2').

If you are building a bigger one make sure you don't skimp on the winch, and get one that free wheels (in other words not a worm gear one). I would even contemplate getting a 2 speed one, and setting it up so you could do short winch pulls to untangle stuff so you can hook up to it since an arch has to straddle the log to work. Maybe even a large sailboat capstan winch so you could use rope on it, possibly in addition to a wire log lifting one. Look at the old school dozer skidding arches to see what I'm talking about, a truck pulling one set up like that could pull some huge logs. I know you are wanting one arch to be able to do both easy hand moving stuff and vehicle towing stuff, but honestly there's a reason they don't sell one like that because the more capacity you make it have for towing the harder it is to move by hand. You really need 2 of them, a hand one designed to be used by hand with a fetching action, and a huge towable one designed to be used with a vehicle. If i was trying to get logs out for milling, i would be leaning towards the towable type, but since i needed one to get back yard trees to the truck i built a small fetching one. Make sense? Basically no matter what it will have to compromise hand moving ability to be able to move bigger logs with a vehicle. If you are building them, they are cheap enough to build that you would be money ahead to just build two rather than buying one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool, thanks! I'm still not 100% certain I'll get an arch built, but thinking's free. I should know by the end of next week if I'm gonna do it. I can't justify the room for two arches, and it's not like I'm running a logging operation or anything. If that somehow did happen, that opens up a lot more interesting gear, and in bigger sizes than I currently have application for. My goal is to have outside-outside wheels fit in my dakota bed, and be ~200# partially stripped so I can lift it into the bed. That truck's on it's way out, but it's what I'm working with atm, and any replacement will be about the same thing. Hopefully at least as wide.

Then in that case don't bother with a fetching hand style one, just build a small trailer one. The thing will live outside, and i would toss on some trailer lights so i could just pull it around like a trailer, and never pick it up. You wouldn't need to plate it since it's equipment. That way you could haul logs directly to the house on the arch, which solves your loading problem as well. If you still don't want to build this, see if you can hunt down an old propane tank mover trailer, they are basically the same thing. That's how they deliver the big propane tanks.

I've been meaning to finish mine. Carl started it years ago, then I got my first mini and it got shelved. I'm wanting it for moving long lengths around when I have someone who's wanting them. its one end suspended in the arch, I could easily move 16' saw logs, (or longer), with the Gehl.

I would think a big one used with a mini would be amazing, especially if you had a crane on the truck to load. You could easily move 5 times what a mini could lift and be very turf friendly.

Then in that case don't bother with a fetching hand style one, just build a small trailer one. The thing will live outside, and i would toss on some trailer lights so i could just pull it around like a trailer, and never pick it up. You wouldn't need to plate it since it's equipment. That way you could haul logs directly to the house on the arch, which solves your loading problem as well.
I'd like to do that, but I bet that if some cop smiles at such a rig, that wouldn't be for the ingenuity of the thing, but more for the hefty fine he will prepare me.

One primary difference in tank dollies and log arches is that the tank dollies have struts that pin in place beneath the tank, so that the dynamics of highway travel aren’t passed on to the winch/cable/etc. Moving a log across a yard at 2 MPH is a lot different than traveling down the highway at speed.

Lol i thought that was a given, but you're right if it's not talked about someone might do it :lol:

With bunks under it you should be able to chain it down so well you can roll it and it won't come out. It's just a different way of loading. Here there's other trailers that are similar, a bunch of construction companies have trailers where the floor is plate steel and is completely lowered to the ground for loading/ unloading, basically the same concept. They have extendable trailers, in fact the one I'm building with the loader thing is an extendable pole trailer. They have huge lowboy equipment trailers where the front part disconnects from the back, laying the majority of the trailer on the ground, and it's held together by a few pins.

Back