Dozers

• Thread starter JohnB
  • Start date
  • Replies 28
  • Views 3K
J

JohnB

What size Dozer to dig up Pine stumps? John Deere 450 or Cat D3, they are both about 75hp. I only added $700 on the job cost for rental of a Deere 120 excavator. But if ya'll think one of these dozers is strong enough to do it well maybe that's what I should do.

Why a dozer? Dozers are for pushing from what I understand. Rent a mini excavator. I help out at an excavation company and those puppies will pull some stumps.

Hey John i remeber you over 6 months ago, god luck with heavy equyipt. Did you actually met MB or did I miss that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never used a mini and I have to get the right piece of equipment the first time. I can't waste any money.

:beerchug:Yea I did meet MB I'm still having nightmares

Yea MB I was but I just didn't have time. Next time I'm in Lafayete I will. That shouldn't be to far off.

I've seen pines around here with huge anchor roots nearly as big as the trunk and ten feet deep. You'd need a BIG machine to dig those out.

why not grind it? faster and nothing to haul off

Not acceptable if it's under a foundation. Chips won't pass the compaction requirements and the buried taproots will eventually rot away, leaving an air pocket under the slab. If you're building on the site then the stump needs to come out.

Not acceptable if it's under a foundation. Chips won't pass the compaction requirements and the buried taproots will eventually rot away, leaving an air pocket under the slab. If you're building on the site then the stump needs to come out.

ah, i didnt know it was for a house pad

Either way, it's a lot easier if you leave the stumps tall.
It's really easier if the whole tree is still there if you are going to shove it out .Digging one out it doesn't make much difference . A large track hoe can have three on the ground before a big dozer can pop one .

Unless it's a huge dozer with a tree spade .Now those can really pop trees .:O

We've never had any trouble grinding stumps that were in the way of development, but then again they didn't backfill with the marshmellow chips either.:P

Your soil is a lot more substantial than here. In Florida sand, it takes some work to get your compaction rate to acceptable levels to pour a slab. If you think you can just scrape off the weeds and form it up, you will be sadly disappointed in a year when the slab cracks. You need to excavate, compact, backfill, compact, etc. to get a solid base.

Back