Dozers

• Thread starter JohnB
  • Start date
  • Replies 28
  • Views 3K
Popped plenty of stumps with a Komatsu roughly equavalent to a D3 but Uncle Al is right -as usual. A hoe with a thumb is the way to wring stumps out of the ground.

I've done a few that I couldn't get to with my grinders because of the mud. I used a 12ton Hitachi excavator w/ thumb that was on the jobsite. Popped them up, dug fairly deep hole and dropped them in.

Oh you can take a little dozer and pop a big stump .The problem is you end up with a hole large enough for a small basement or swimming pool .

If you are going to stump out a tree with a dozer ,do so with the tree intact .It may sound hard to believe but I've pushed over 2 foot pines with a 50 year old D4 Cat .That's not a problem .Now a 12 inch oak on the other hand is a problem .

One praticular time I had the brilliant idea of pulling with one dozer and pushing with another on a 12 inch oak that need removed for a septic system installation .

1/2" cable half way up the tree hooked to an Oliver OC-6 pulling ,D4 Cat pushing .Snapped that pup right in half,still had to dig the damned thing out .:(

I was moving a D-7 Dozer through a river bottom cow pasture that we had and the landlord had a wood guy cut a bunch of trees out of it a few years prior. The weeds were about 6 feet high so I had the blade low to knock them down and I ran into a 6" or so Valley Oak stump. 20 ton of iron came to a real sudden stop, threw me up on the hood and killed the motor. It had been cut for a couple of years too.

Back