Don't forget to check for loose spark plugs

Bosch I think are the prettiest plugs, if they still have the racing stripes. I can't much buy them, NGK or Champion. Wonder why NGK BPMR6A/Champion RCJ8Y the cost gets way elevated? Lots of saws use that plug.

I guess I may have been on my 2nd tank of gas when it started acting up. I used it today and it worked almost just fine. it sputtered and acted up a couple times, but soon recovered.

Got to love saws that run fine then they act up, then they run fine again and then they act up. Like they are out to get you.

That's basically the same thing the 200T did that Adam Clark sent me .You just never knew when it would decide to have one of it's moments . It just got worse as time dragged on but it took about a year before it would die on the vine after about 30 seconds of running .The new seals and bearings cured it .

I blamed the carb .Quite frankly though since Eddie Anderson sent me that new carb it never ran so good .I assume it was the model with the accelerator pump but I never checked .All I can say is that little pup can get with it now even better than after I reworked the engine .

Bosch I think are the prettiest plugs, if they still have the racing stripes. I can't much buy them, NGK or Champion. Wonder why NGK BPMR6A/Champion RCJ8Y the cost gets way elevated? Lots of saws use that plug.

Champion CJ7Y and RCJ7Y I use most here today.

Bosch WSR6F/NGK BPMR6A/Champion RCJ8Y is same plug I think.

I think you have correct plug Stig. Perhaps it is overtightened? If washer go plat it will not absorb vibrations and handle heat efficiently.

Jay. My modded 460 that went down turned out to be it had spit a plug. Now I have 4 runner 460/046s and have never had a single one spit a plug. I'm sure glad that's all it was.

I read somewhere that you are supposed to give a quarter turn with the wrench after the plug seats. Hardly seems possible without risking breaking it off.

Every now and then I like to pull out the plugs and wire brush the electrode parts clean. Wonder if there is any point in doing that? Gives a chance to check the gap as well.

I fixed a few small Zenoahs for a guy that has an employee that likes to tighten the sprocket cover nut so tight it rips the stud out of the case. It's a major repair, have to buy a new case. He probably told the employee that he didn't want him touching the spark plugs.

I fixed a few small Zenoahs for a guy that has an employee that likes to tighten the sprocket cover nut so tight it rips the stud out of the case. It's a major repair, have to buy a new case. He probably told the employee that he didn't want him touching the spark plugs.
That's the trouble with a lot of tree workers without soft hands [soft hands are rare] but having a "feel for torque" is even more rare. Like Magnus says torque plugs once and when problems arise or scheduled maintenence arrives put a new plug in.
In my air cooled Wisconson powered chipper I found the NGK plugs were crap and the Champions were better . In my Saws NGK were still crap but the Boschs from Germany were the best.

I read somewhere that you are supposed to give a quarter turn with the wrench after the plug seats. Hardly seems possible without risking breaking it off.

Every now and then I like to pull out the plugs and wire brush the electrode parts clean. Wonder if there is any point in doing that? Gives a chance to check the gap as well.

Jay I pull plugs occasionally and swap them out somewhat regularly. Moreso on that saw as it's my favorite. It's never been an issue before. But I'll be damn careful from now on.

Bosch plugs always.

If you put it in when new and it has a washer that is to compress, this is correct. If you re-use same plug it is not correct as washer is already compressed.

Usually the threads in cylinder go before anything happen to plug.
I rarely re-use old plugs unless it is a collectors item or very hard to find plug. I have changed washers to sometimes, put copper washer instead.

If it is a common standard plug they are too cheep to chance anything, better to put in a new and have it sitting correct.

I have some ancient Bosch plugs that still seem to be working fine. Can't seem to find new ones here though. Mostly NGK and lesser so Champion. All in all I can't say that NGK has been bad plugs in my experience. The NGK ones sold in the states and maybe Canada, are probably made over there, they do have a plant. Maybe lesser quality control or something?

I have Bosch, NGK, Champion, Oregons equivelent and a couple no namers in stock and I can't say any of the 3 first is better than the other.

Experiances...

Had a couple 357's here last year from same owner and Bosch plug that lower electrode fell of on. Seen many that it didn't.
Seen broken idolaters on all of them inside and outside..
Burnt electrodes I see more on NGK than the other two for some reason...

Usually plugs are replaced ahead of time when it is in for service so problems are avoided.

Back