Do You Remember That Job...?

Its relatively easy to do that with the iphone, as the contacts list allows you to put in lots of detail or an address or whatever in the data. Now when I take someones number, I punch in all the details at the same time.

Do the same thing on my Droid. Sure comes in handy, eh?

"Remember the time we had 100 degree heat for two days and we went through four jugs of water"

Question asked by a former co-worker:

Pat_1991.jpg

Only if I can see the picture...

...that is 1991, by the way.

I have always had a hard time remembering names, but I could tell you what tree I worked on in their yard as soon as I saw them or pulled up at the house. Still can go through the old maps from Western Illinois tree inventory and tell you what most of the trees were and what work I did on them, and that was from '83 to '91. Don't ask me what I did yesterday though. Damn I'm becoming my dad!!!!

Good point about firewood SouthSoundTree. Recall is a curious thing.

LOL CursedVoice.

Willie: Clarence doesn't count. Man, I had probably been working for him for two weeks before he said, "I'll explain right where it's at." Keith: "No, Dad, he wasn't there when we did that." Clarence: O.k. well you know where Crater Lake and Such and Such intersect?" Me: "No." Clarence: "O.K. well you know where Such and Such is?" Me: "No." Clarence: O.k. well you know where that horse pasture with the one huge Black Oak......... Etc. etc. etc. ......

He used to crack me up. "it was the mother of all willows" Which mother Clarence, last week or last years mother??:D

I’m hopeless at remembering jobs unless something unusual occurred, normally dog related.

My part timer remembers lots more, people, their jobs and quirks.

Most clients could shake my hand on the street 15 minutes after I drive off the property and I wouldn’t know who they were.

So, I am not the only one...
I'm tempted to say that we don't pay much attention to the others and what they say, but it's more than that. It seems that the memory banks are either frequently reseted or no longer accessible. It's very annoying, and not only for the social behavior. All my student time was plagued by this lack of memory.

Others of us are cursed with near-photographic memories and can place all the seemingly insignificant details that others have long forgotten...

Most clients could shake my hand on the street 15 minutes after I drive off the property and I wouldn’t know who they were.

+1.

Well, maybe a week later.

I had a fella refer me to a woman he knows. He told her not to waste the time calling anyone but me. This lady called me and set up an appointment to look over 140 trees on her property and do as i see fit to each of them. She told me flat out that she wasnt shopping around and not to short myself on the cost. I made a garbage bag full of money on that job, (while being fair, honest, and ethical)

Good old Tucker. One of a kind. Gone with the wind

I surely miss that boy, and hope he didn't come to something bad. He sure flirted with that place a time or two.

People remember different things about different jobs, from different perspectives (boss versus employee, new guy versus experienced).

I may remember a beautiful pruning job on a couple maples, or the OCD customer. A guy might remember 28 trips up the 22 stairs at the waterfront job with bundles of brush.

I’m hopeless at remembering jobs unless something unusual occurred, normally dog related.

My part timer remembers lots more, people, their jobs and quirks.

Great bump, Mick. I don't think I've seen this thread before today. Interesting stuff.

One question I have for the folks participating in this thread is whether or not they bother to try to take photos of people's trees and the property on which they sit? In order to try to help remember the client and the work done in the future, in case the customer calls back again wanting more work done.

Or would doing such a thing make the customers nervous and uncomfortable? I know Reg and August shoot video all the time; I'm assuming that they have to get clearance from the customer beforehand in order to shoot such video. That's all, just wondering if customers ever show resistance to having their properties photographed, and such photos possibly getting posted online after the fact. Thanks.

Tim

I’ve never had a client object, but I’ve never asked tbh, just out with the phone and click away.

I’m not really too worried about remembering clients, they usually say “you cut down a tree for me x years ago” and I will say “oh yeah, how can I help you now” and if I don’t remember them I’ll say “remind me of your address please” and it’s all good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha, I don’t remember starting this thread.

That is one thing about getting old and grey, Darin.
Memory goes to hell.

My present employee now has is own "27 steps" job.

Bet TreeCareLA's crew has too many jobs with 27, or 57 steps, but maybe only one elevator job.

Where is that guy?

People remember different things about different jobs, from different perspectives (boss versus employee, new guy versus experienced).

I may remember a beautiful pruning job on a couple maples, or the OCD customer. A guy might remember 28 trips up the 22 stairs at the waterfront job with bundles of brush.

Some jobs have no machine or even cart/ hand-truck access.

TreeCareLA/ Nick has shown some big stair cases on mountainsides, along with one elevator job.

On my current job, I'd use a high-lead system if there was much more brush to handle, so as to avoid steep trails, too loose for my mini... It was all dead cedar branches, so about as light of wood as you're going to find, but it adds up.

Back