Do you carry a throwline/weight into the tree with you?

That's what I do. The majority of the time I can throw for another crotch with the rope itself. The few times I've wanted a throw line in the tree it was because it was a tight spot with no room for swinging or throwing anything. In those situations, a throw line would be hard too without something alike a wrist rocket to launch it. Who was it on here that took a dowel and some tubing and made an in the tree launcher? I wonder how that has been going for him. It seemed like a promising idea.

That was me.... and it works awesome!!

Here's a demo vid I made a couple years ago. It's not the best vid but you will at least get the concept of it.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/egcHHL88hB4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/egcHHL88hB4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Attachments

• Lil shot with autoreel 003.jpg
    Lil shot with autoreel 003.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 85
I'll take a throw line with me but have used it a handful of times maybe. I made a setup with a fly reel and an 8oz bag. I really like that lill shot thing good idea.:occasion5:

I really like that lill shot thing good idea

Ain't it sweet?

Jason, you should patent and sell that thing, all in a cool 'lil package. Hell, I'd buy it! I don't have a spare piece of BS tubing laying around, so yea - I'd order it.

I'm telling ya! :/:

I've never had to carry a throwline up with me,on alot of big oaks i work in i set a line in each main leader before i go up,makes working them a whole lot easier.

Branch Doc- there's a rec climber (Dan House) that uses that system but without a throwweight attached. How far does yours go with the weight?

hey butch,you can get rubber like that at walmart in the sporting goods,they sell it as a replacement for the hunting slingshot.

Could I use that same stuff as a replacement for my big shot? Mine are about to snap- needing replacement....but I don't see the value in the 20 something dollar kit from sherrill

That seems like a reasonable price to me. I wouldn't want to use an inferior product that just might snap.

Nick and Butch,

I ordered some surgical tubing off the web awhile back that didn't last long (it was a waterballoon launcher..the pouch is great but the rubber didn't last long).

Then I was talking to our dive team leader (underwater search and recovery...we also do land search, etc.) and telling him about my homemade Big Shot and he pulled out a book and showed me the real thing...he has one for setting lines across a local river when we do searches.

ANYWAY...he suggested I try using spear gun rubber for my bigshot...he owns the local dive shop (imagine that) and he spooled off about 20 feet and said "Try this". I am using it now and it works very well...it has held up for about a year, starting to get some small cracks in it but still seems plenty strong.

Try a dive shop to get your tubing.

Thanks Gary. I just replaced the pouch and tubing on my Big Shot but I really do not like the new pouch. It's just a flap of plastic coated canvas instead of an actual sewn pouch like the old one. Also the pouch is not sewn square with the tubing, the handle is cocked to one side (shortening the tubing on the long side didn't fix it). I saved the old pouch and would like to get some replacement tubing so I'll check out the local dive shops. Great tip! :thumbup:

I'm so with you Brian.

We have an original where I work part time, fabric POUCH. That thing rockes. My bigshot has tarp material half assed pouch, and the newer version I got free when Tobe was doing the giveaway's sucks even worse.

I was concerned about poking a hole in the end of the tubing to attach it to the pouch but that's how they attach it to the spear gun (I believe). I know it's a simple process or else they would cost more.

Yeah, atleast a couple times a month. Throw into neighbouring tree or leader for my access or for rigging. Excellent option!
Throw into Tip and down to the ground and from there i ahve a choice to let the groundies thread the rope or do it myself with their help.
When I need to move into the other tree I will get them to pull me over so i save the energy for the actual work.

Do you know how that speargun tubing performs in cold weather, Gary?

That is my biggest complaint about the new bigshot rubbers, I have to keep the thing in the car with some hotwater bottles to get any elevation when I use it in winter.

Back