Determining Metal Tubing Strength for Tree Props

I agree, if you're worried about weight go bigger, 6"x .250. 3000 pounds is nothing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So metal isn't like rope? If someone told me "½ polyester double braid" I could tell them off the top of my head "somewhere around 10,000 pounds" regardless of who made it, what TYPE of polyester they used, etc.

I hate when the world is hard! 😆

love
nick

I THINK so, too. But would love to know at what size wood I should upgrade to 6x6

love
nick

My FIL has a boxelder in his backyard that he propped up years ago and I think its overkill but it has not bent. I'll snap a pic today.
How big is this tree anyway? Any pics?

Ok Image 2.jpg Image 1.jpg Image.jpg
Not how I woulda done it but there it is. The tree is a boxelder about 14-16" at the stump. About 10' tall made out of 3/16" wall c-channel.

Jaysus, one more thing to mow around!

I'm with Stig.;)

Thats strong box iron. Would take an awful lot to get it to buckle. Its not going to crush, but buckle and fold. I would think the weak link would be the threaded rod, that stuff is kinda soft.

If it gets to rocking and rolling bad enough to hurt the box iron or rod, I would think the rest of the tree would probably fail.

To me, that tree resembles those pets that people keep alive, loooooong after their time has come.
A sad sight.

But then I'm just a dumb, cruel logger who failed the arborist exam:lol:

I hear ya! The only reason that boxelder is still alive is it shades his pool and house in the late afternoon.

To me, that tree resembles those pets that people keep alive, loooooong after their time has come.A sad sight....

I disagree. Even though aesthetics were clearly not a factor in this prop design, I think props are cool and can be highly effective and with thought also, attractive. You can see these occurring in nature all the time and are some of the most eye-catching asymmetrical beauties.

Either reduce that box alder or add another prop. One day that rootball will be up in the air with the tips on the ground. As to Nick's delema with out pics I have no response.

I started hacking back the propped end last year. My FIL really wants to keep it so I am trying to get to "bush" out in a more vertical form to the left of the support. Also they want to sell but are having a hard time finding what they want and can agree on.
If I had my way it would have been gone when I started dating his daughter four years ago.

Nah the willow is cool, that thing is so broken down up close it's just a inch and a half rind of bark and sap wood. Image 8.jpg

Back