Demise of the Barrel Coil

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
Heres a peak at what I have been working on lately! Im no craftsman so I didnt do the building.

I have roughly 120 ropes, ready to dispense, all coming into two different stationary counting stations.

We are done barrel coiling ropes. Our ropes are being shipped flaked into sealed bags. Gone are the times of going insane untangling inexplicable knots in your new rope.

I mocked it up with cardboard:
mock up 2.jpg

mock up 3.jpg

mock up.jpg

Then we built it out.
NCM_0050.jpg

NCM_0053.jpg

NCM_0048.jpg

loom spool.jpg

Looks like a mess, but probably better that doing what I used to do...tie the end to my ATV, set the coil on a dowel upright in the vice on my workbench, and ease off around the work center for a few laps until 600' of rope was all un-twisted.

Always choose a day after a week of dry ones, keeps your new rope much cleaner...ask me how I know :D.

I bet its still a bear getting those spools onto the bars though. Man 1200' of rope is heavy aint it!! I like those boxes though, might look into getting it like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone else get any rope in a bag lately? Thoughts feedback?

I bet its still a bear getting those spools onto the bars though. Man 1200' of rope is heavy aint it!! I like those boxes though, might look into getting it like that.

It is a 2 man job for sure :)

instead of knots maybe some cleats like they have on boats to secure the rope after you cut it. Cool project. effecient

Back