Deluxe Workwear?

lxskllr

Treehouser
I was greasing my Filson vest, and getting irritated how they've become an overpriced "lifestyle" company for people who want to look like they do real work without putting the work in. They've always been expensive, but I could justify it by the fact they were Americans doing the work. Most of the stuff's "imported" now. There's different kinds of imported. Good imported is from European countries; UK, Scotland, Germany, Iceland... and the country is specified. "Imported" means it came from China or some kind of *istan, and it was made by people where they're getting paid just enough to make the job more attractive than starving to death.

So... Are there any Filson-like companies left that make American or European workwear? Maybe expensive, but nice enough to be worth it, and made by workers that are paid well to do a good job? I'm talking about general rugged workwear. Not so much technical stuff like saw pants. Those are kind of inherently quality made.

edit:
tidy up spelling and grammar

Last edited:
I know of no such company. Plus Filson has taken a nose dive in quality since going overseas.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hate myself for being That Guy, but Scotland is in the UK.
Yea. I was just thinking of how some things are specified, at least over here. Sometimes you get the general "UK", but with wool especially, "Scotland" will be specified.

Years ago I had a wool jacket from Bemidji Woolen Mills. Looks like they are still around and even some of their stuff is still made in the US.

Thanks Austin! Looks like they have some pretty nice stuff.

Same thing happened with Helly Hansen.
Originally from Norway, their logger's fleece "Skovhuggerjakke" was indestructable. So much that they would fade from the original blue over 20 years or so and old fallers turned into silverbacks.
Then they moved production to Portugal and the quality went south, too.
Today it is made in Indonesia, Bangla-desh and China and it sucks!

Dang I didn't know about the changes to Helly Hansen.

If you want a hard core HD wool sweater, Bjarne Butler the old growth YT sawyer sells them, if I were in need I would look closely at that.

Patagonia makes 'work wear', I haven't tried any of it but I do own a fair amount of their other outdoor wear and all of it is basically perfection. You pay more for it and get what you pay for, and their return policies are bullet proof.

Most of my work wear comes from Old Navy- low cost, usually effective/durable, easily replaceable. And Dickies for pants,

Most of my stuff comes from the thriftshop, but there's some things I think are worth buying new. I'd kill for an old school filson cruiser vest in waxed tin cloth. The vest I have is ok, but deficient in pockets, and expensive for what you get. There's a waxed vest in Austin's link I like the looks of. It's not a cruiser vest, but it looks pretty nice.

I've been happy with Arborwear, we get our short and log sleeved shirts from them.
Outerwear is from Pfanner in Austria, also very good quality.

Since you were looking for something waxed, I was going to suggest Belstaff.
I've worn out 2 of their Trialmaster jackets over 30 years of motorcycling, great quality.
Then I looked at their homepage, today they make trendy apparel for, apparently, urban homosexuals.
Oh, well.

One of my guys has a double thick ArborWear sweatshirt, that thing feels very legit, if I didn't have so many clothes already I'd get one. When you grab it, something about it brings steel to mind. He raves about it

Don't know where Duluth Trading Company makes their stuff, but I like it.

Between the chemistry of my sweat, and the Arizona sun, no clothing lasts as long as I think it should.

Outback makes some good stuff, ive got a duster from them, and got my wife an oilskin coat with concealed carry pocket that will makes her .38 invisible.

Duluth is made overseas. In general I get about four years out of their products, fire hose flex stuff. Plain Jane Dickie button down short sleeves wear like iron, very tough.

Sounds like Mt Vernon. That job I did awhile ago where they tore down a building to put something new up, and the it caused the building next to it to fail. The building that was taken down was a gay bar.

I loved that job; mostly... The job itself was a huge PITA, but there was lots of interesting stuff to look at in the excavation. Bits of old glass, some of the tile in the entrance broke, and revealed even older tile that was covered, cool old bricks, and bits of iron... I love that stuff.

Archeologist! I've actually thought that, but that's a little more disciplined than I'm setup for. Seems to be lots of bookwork, and a little bit of digging. I'm more a scavenger and a junk collector :^D

I'd need a partner, cause I'm not artistically inclined, but a hipster shop with junk artistically arranged would be a super fun gig. A guy I used to work with had a great eye for that stuff. He picked up a lamp from an overhead highway light, painted the base black, and put it on his shelf. It looked awesome! I wouldn't have seen that if I saw it laying on the ground. Would have just looked like junk to me.

Back