Dead elm

Somewhere in here there's a thread that gives some really good info about how high lines load up and the forces they apply. Maybe someone recalls it and can post a link?

One thing about dead trees is it kinda sucks not climbing the tree itself on the way up to look for/get a feel for defects. If you're hopping into that tree from the roof, even with a highline I'd inspect that sucker thoroughly beforehand with some binos.

Trees like that I disassemble from the ground as much as I can.
It's slow but gets it done safe.
Bigshot, throwline, pull rope an redirect pulley at the base of the tree.
Pull the tree down with the truck piece by piece. Fell the spar.

This seems first off like it doesn't apply to this tree and secondly if you're going to have to climb into the tree anyways, you're now going to climb into a dead tree that's been busted apart from pulling on it with a truck? Not for me.

I don't see a garage roof in the video. 4 story building I'm thinking the trees are 45 feet tall. Looks like a clear area with the small alder to fell most of the stems into. Better to flatten some small underbrush then risk breaking a utility mast on the roof. Better back that Maasdam up with a port of wrap.
Lower the barb wire fence maybe? Video doesn't show much, ground level pic from the tracks would be better

This seems first off like it doesn't apply to this tree and secondly if you're going to have to climb into the tree anyways, you're now going to climb into a dead tree that's been busted apart from pulling on it with a truck? Not for me.

I can guarantee you all these dead stems tangled together are supporting alot of broken ones. Pull out as much of all the limbs and tops as possible from the ground. I'd sooner climb what's left standing after all that "pull testing" then go into it blind with all that broken wood up there. Don't forget felling skills and climb less.

For real man, I think you need to watch those vids again. Like the first one. Pause it around six seconds. They are chain link fences it looks like to me. Tight as f-ck looking. You are gonna pull the tops down and what? Cross your fingers? Your guesstimate is 45' on that tree? I'll be interested to get Benns take on that.

Come on present a better video or pics if your looking for some advice.
Yes I saw the chain link fence and no I wouldn't pull limbs and tops onto it:lol:
Do I have to hold your hand too.

I dunno. You've got pretty big mitts don't yah? I would only hold your hand if the 'lumberjack' song was playing softly in the background.

Benn's a hired gun now, outlaw in the east. I don't think the companies he's subbing in for are hiring him in to frig around with pullines. They are hiring him in to slam that sucka out because no amount of handholding is going to get their regular crew to do it.

I stand by my original advice. Charge triple.

Squish, I have nothing against Ben and he's probably a good hired gun. But I came into this thread thinking we can do this differently......after seeing the suggestion in the video about tying off to the utility mast on the roof.;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Holmen are you on drugs? That's ain't a utility mast, it's some kind oh solid chimney outlet. Very sturdy! There's loads to tie off to. Lol

Is there any sort of proffesional grade slack line gear? Something that could be pulled tight, depending on anchor points.

It the matter of the anchor points, not the MA system.

At rock climbing areas, they often use three 3/8" wedge bolts on each side, I believe. Typically, this is shear-strength loading.

I don't think there's any problem leaving it a bit slack. I rigged off a highline last summer to take down a nasty dead elm. I used some 1/2'' KMIII with a block set in a AB, it was a great piece of mind.

To answer your question though, if it were me I would want a fixed point for climbing, I'm not a fan of the movement, like pruning from a crane ball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool so Chuck a few alpine butterflies on the line to find the best one when the line is pulled tight for the right anchor...

Holmen are you on drugs? That's ain't a utility mast, it's some kind oh solid chimney outlet. Very sturdy! There's loads to tie off to. Lol

:lol:seriously now ........I thought you were on drugs suggesting to tie into that chimney or whatever it is.
So you break it, rip it out of the roof or whatever are you thinking about the consequences?

I like the idea of having a fixed anchor point as well. Could you maybe use Johnny Pros idea? The floating adjustable fixed anchor or whatever he called it? That might require a smaller diameter line though. A chimney ought to be secure enough but I'm sure there's plenty of other things on the roof to back it up with. Knock it out and get some video

I dunno. You've got pretty big mitts don't yah? I would only hold your hand if the 'lumberjack' song was playing softly in the background.

Omg that was funny.

Benn's a hired gun now, outlaw in the east. I don't think the companies he's subbing in for are hiring him in to frig around with pullines. They are hiring him in to slam that sucka out because no amount of handholding is going to get their regular crew to do it.

I stand by my original advice. Charge triple.

:thumbup:

Back