Dawn Redwood

Cobleskill

Treehouser
I saw a nice tree the other day and wan't sure what it was. The native trees I know but ornamentals I am a bit sketchty. About 3 feet in circumferenc at ground level and it tapered steadily as you went up. Really cool deep flutes in the trunk. The H.O. wasn't home so nobody to ask what it was. Yesterday looking at a tree job I saw a young tree of the same kind. I was told it was a Dawn Redwood. Probably quite common but first time for me. Anybody else like em? Good tree to plant?

ahhh sweet Taxodium.

It is a very interesting tree, not discovered by round eyes until the 1940's.

i love em, weve got some big one around here. will have a couple in my arboretum when i get more land

I think its Metasequoia glyptostroboides rather than Taxodium distychum(sp?) if its dawn redwood, the Taxodium is swamp cypress here for a common name. But a rose is a rose.....
:)

good catch paul, Metasequoia glyptostroboides is the one i was refering to

Sorry, I didn't want to lead anyone to think I was talking of T.distichum or T. Mucronatum. It was rather a note of the family, Taxodiaceae(which includes Metasequoia) rather than the genus. ;)

Hands down my favorite tree. Lots of big ones around here, the Arnold Arboretum (City of Boston owned, Harvard University maintained) brought the first ones to the US when they we "rediscovered" in the 1940's. I planted one in my front yard last fall. Good street tree.

Just 2 weeks ago I took one of the oldest ones in Denmark down. One of the team members on the Yangtse river expedition that discovered the Metasequoias was Danish, and he brought seeds home. He had a friend, a professor of geologi, who was given 2 of the first seedlings, one of which I cut down. A pity, really but it had grown too big for the garden in which it stood. Almost 4 feet DBH and 70 feet tall. At least The other one was left standing.

I have seen them in Germany as well as Australia.

There is one here in Austin at the botanical gardens but it is only 5 yrs old. I have a nickle that says it won't do too well with our hot dry summers and very basic soils :(

me gusta mucho...i want to climb those ones downt he street (arnold arb)

Dawn Redwoods are Awesome trees!

One of the estates we maintain has one that is around 3'DBH.

Sorry, I didn't want to lead anyone to think I was talking of T.distichum or T. Mucronatum. It was rather a note of the family, Taxodiaceae(which includes Metasequoia) rather than the genus. ;)

sorry Nate, not trying to bust your ball$, good save :D

Back