Cummins using oil in BB1890

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I assume that engine is sleeved ? No matter because if all it is a set of rings and a rework of the cylinder head that has to be cheaper than a rebuilt engine .That is providing the cylinders are not shot ,bearings etc .

If it runs as well as you say it does it can't have that much wrong with it .

Now this idea of running it so hot it took the temper out of the rings doesn't sound right because had it gotton that hot it should have cracked the cylinder head .

Pull the head and take a peek at the cylinders .It they are worn and eliptical you obviously have some big problems .If you roll it over and the rings don't wipe down the cylinders that will pretty much tell a tale .

Well all i want to invest now is more oil, this baby runs freaking awesome but it does use a quart an hour .
If you stand in the sun at the right angle you can barely see the blue smoke.
Otherwise from a normal standpoint no body even noticies us adding oil , no smoke no nothing.
Maybe i should try the additives that supposedly help.
If i add 50 weight the oild last 5 tims as long or better.Z
Oh well i say chip till she dies or sale her for 20k.
Any other ideas appreciated.

Id kinda like to move down to a 15inch chipper anyhow.

Well,look at it like this .A quart of cheap oil isn't that much more than a quart of diesel fuel .As you described it the engine is burning it anyway so it's not all a loss .

Before I rebuilt one of my old D4 Cats it went through around a quart an hour too but it would smoke like it was burning pine knots if it wasn't under a heavy load .

Yah that seems like a hell of alot of oil to be burning through to me with little to no evidence of it happening. But heh if it works for ya and you don't mind dumping the oil in, run er til she blows!

Did you test your coolant or look for signs of oil in it.... Seems like an awful lot of oil and not enough smoke. Might be leaching into the coolant somewhere.

Check your fuel for oil? Bad injector seals will pump oil back into the fuel system, in a hurry. Whats the fuel look like going into the injector pump?

I am assuming you have checked the air filter before anything else? If it's plugged that engine will suck air from anywhere it can, including through the crankcase!

You have to remember that just the heat of the compression is upwards of 1000 degrees F on a diesel .Once you combine that with the heat combustion with such a small amount of oil,you won't see much smoke .

Like I said my old 1943 Cat D4 did not smoke unless it sat at idle and cooled down .Under load there was nearly no smoke at all .That thing had two broken oil rings in one cylinder and one in another .BTW real early diesels used a double oil ring system in case anyone didn't know .

We had 2 bad injector seals in our International Dump and it was using a ton of oil.

Should be just the valve cover, injector lines, remove retaining nut. 1/2" pvc pipe coupler should fit over injector, check one of your lug nuts to see if it threads on properly, if so place a washer over the pvc and use the nut to pull the injector. 12 valve instructions best I can remember

Jerry... if it's usin' a quart of oil an hour... it's not runnin' "awesome". It may have craploads of torque to run that chipper... but usin' that much oil is a harbinger for worse things to start happenin'... and prolly sooner than later.

Gary

The fire chief of our little town drives a chevy pickup with the diesel motor and he stopped by my cousin's house to bullshit one time. He left his pickup running while he was in my cousin's shop and when he came out there was a big puddle of dirty looking diesel under his pickup. He had to have it towed to the dealer as it was still under warranty, but some seal had gone bad and filled the crankcase with diesel until it was coming out the dipstick tube.

It could also be a seal in the turbo. You just need to haul it in and get it looked at. Like Gary said whatever it is it will eventually get bad if not taken care of!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jerry... if it's usin' a quart of oil an hour... it's not runnin' "awesome". It may have craploads of torque to run that chipper... but usin' that much oil is a harbinger for worse things to start happenin'... and prolly sooner than later.

Gary

I hear ya, we are going on nearly a year now .Using it about 2 or 3 times a week.
Thanx for all the comments , im heading to colorado next week so ittl have to wait.

Back