CRAZY CHAIN? All aboard! Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa! Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay , Ay

Removing the cap and inspecting the fork is Job 1 and should be a separate service and on the clock. Without that info all this judging is just hissing in the wind.

Lack of wind exposure is an important datum. Y'all looking at this as an obvious removal? Tha tis one option, but owner should know of all options.

I would put a new system in higher up, give it a nice prune, leave the old system, have HO sign off on any liability after fully advising them on your assessment

This might be reasonable depending on the facts, which are not in. the chains that are cross-loading; not sure all of those would stay.

So you're saying this tree has significant decay, large failures, previous system installed invasively and too low, with valuable targets beneath? Removal seems like a no-brainer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tried to get the cap off yesterday. It is a plug of solid concrete, so about 3' in diameter and 20" thick slightly tapering.
I got the go ahead to prune and recable and will also try to winch the plug out.
There is some minor evidence of rods through the fork, metal detector was outta juice but there may be more to it.

The chains or the eye bolts more specifically are now considered to be approaching the limit of there cycles to failure. Based on 2 000 cycles for the 1" Eyes, double loads, vector forces, side loading, increase forces from levering/fulcrum, etc

I will post pics soon.
Thanks men your thoughts.

Pollarding?Isn't that pretty much topping,only done over and over again?

No, it isnt. Proper pollarding is cuts made at branch collars (except the initial cuts) to allow the tree to CODIT at the 'knuckles' that are formed in time. Topping or heading is a cut mid stem or mid branch with no allowance or ability for the tree to seal the wound like it can in natural target pruning (the system used to take advantage of the CODIT theory).
I will be happy if any board certified master arborists wish to augment or dissasemble my attempt at the definition. :P

No, not proper topping.

Let me preface by saying that I don't know much about it, and have never done it.

Pollarding is a specialized pruning technique where there are likely internodal cuts once, at a proper, early age, not with the intent to shrink a large tree, followed by precise annual pruning. A pollard head it subject to decay if accidentally cut into. Only the new growth is removed. Targeted pruning for a specific affect.

Topping is indescriminate, typically internodal cutting without regard to plant health, frequently in a misguided effort to shrink a tree judged to be too large.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...UgQeQ_6W5Bw&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:20,s:64&biw=1280&bih=617

No, it isnt. Proper pollarding is cuts made at branch collars (except the initial cuts) to allow the tree to CODIT at the 'knuckles' that are formed in time. Topping or heading is a cut mid stem or mid branch with no allowance or ability for the tree to seal the wound like it can in natural target pruning (the system used to take advantage of the CODIT theory).
I will be happy if any board certified master arborists wish to augment or dissasemble my attempt at the definition. :P

Was that aimed at anyone in particular?

so its basically "proper topping".

Not when you are making collar cuts on thumb diameter branches every year.

Willie Gingg
Southern Oregon's only Board Certified Master Arborist
PN-5564B

Okay,thanks guys,I have heard of pollarding and saw it once,I wasn't aware it was considered proper.

There are topping jobs that people try to call pollarding. Much more common in Europe than here. There are a few examples around me of small trees. The Evergreen State College in Oly has a couple of rows of well-pollarded londonplane trees of a larger size in the main part of campus. I only saw them once, but want to say that they were 15+" dbh and maybe 20-25' tall. Alien lookin'.

I've seen it done .Evidently there is just enough folage left to keep the tree alive .

They did both sides of a street locally ,Catalpa trees on "catalpa avenue" actually .They looked odd . That was 40 years ago and for all I know they might all be dead by now .

Here you go, Bill.
These lindens were "topped" about 200 years ago and lovingly maintained since.
It is an old tradition around here.

Attachments

• P1000379.JPG
    P1000379.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 31
  • P1000378.JPG
    P1000378.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 31
I beg to differ...
I will take a picture of a beautifully pollarded mulberry that has some awesome knuckles on it. Right here in hillbilly land.
I bet that tree is at least turn of the century old judging by the knuckles.

Back