crane work- balancing vs standing

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 2K
L

Levi

As opposed to using spider legs and what not to balance a horizontal crane pic I was taught to tip tie, or tip choke, the piece and use the crane to stand the piece up vertical than away she goes. Is there any specific reason to use one method or the other or is it six of these half a dozen of the others?

To be able to stand a piece up you need head room and a wood that will hold a hinge. I for one feel folks put too much emphasis on perfectly balancing stuff which just takes too long. As long as the climber is safe and you are well within your load limit just cut it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree the perfect balancing is not necessary. A good crane op that can get the piece up and away quickly is helpful.

I have stood branches up before like you speak of, but always well within the chart. I could see a potential danger doing that with a big pick. As you stand up a piece, it has the potential to swing, therefore the pick could swing itself out of the chart. If it was bad enough, it could flip the crane. I remember a write up about the guys who flipped a 40T because they only slung the trunk on one side so it swung out of the chart, and they split the house with the boom. Because of the swing, not standing the piece up. So again, I think as long as you have the chart, and the room to spare, should be OK.

Personally, I like to balance as well as possible. Spider legs or multiple slings.

I have stood branches up before like you speak of, but always well within the chart. I could see a potential danger doing that with a big pick. As you stand up a piece, it has the potential to swing, therefore the pick could swing itself out of the chart. If it was bad enough, it could flip the crane. I remember a write up about the guys who flipped a 40T because they only slung the trunk on one side so it swung out of the chart, and they split the house with the boom. Because of the swing, not standing the piece up. So again, I think as long as you have the chart, and the room to spare, should be OK.

Personally, I like to balance as well as possible. Spider legs or multiple slings.

That makes sense. I never know what the chart is! I just ask the op, "can we take this piece? It looks to be around__lbs" I trust them, they trust us.

Try betting on weight. Gentleman's bet, or a beer, etc. I always ask what the chart is, and the weight of each pick, we compare it to our estimates. It's good you trust your operator, but I've been given guys who have never flown a tree. I'm sure you will, too. When you "know" the weight of the pick, you tell them to put that weight (or less) on the crane. He can always put more weight on as needed once you finish the cut. With the ropetek comms, I run the crane from the tree to an extent. Of course trusting your operator can bail you out of a hairy situation is a always a good feeling too.

Last edited:
Stand it UP!!!

Attachments

• trees 017.jpg
    trees 017.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 59
  • trees 018.jpg
    trees 018.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 57
  • trees 019.jpg
    trees 019.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 60
  • trees 021.jpg
    trees 021.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 59
  • trees 022.jpg
    trees 022.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 59
Nice Butch! I usually put a face cut in there but I have been getting more friendly with peel cuts lately, they can be very handy.

I guarantee balance a pick does not take to long.......want me to come help?

Back