Crane Wedges

chris_girard

Treehouser
How many of you guys ever carry a little wedge on a cord attached to your saddle to help keep your saw from pinching when doing crane work?

I've never used one and I do a lot of crane work and I'm usually pretty good about making a small relief cut (when necessary) in the back before I finish cutting through from the front, or I'll just cut straight through when I know that there won't be any issues.

The other day it was windy throughout the day when I was doing a large crane job and a few times my saw got pinched and it was a PITA each time it happened. So I was thinking about starting to use a wedge when I have to guess if the saw will get pinched.

Any thoughts?

I haven't used one with a crane, but they're nice when chunking down large wood. For the same reason... Make a small loop next to the wedge in addition to the string/loop lanyard so that you can short clip it.

Sounds like a good idea.
If it works use it!!
I got a little set up, wedge,hammer just for tops and fat spurs.( no crane )

I've used wedges for a heavy butt log pick that got a little twist and pinched my bar.

Seems like tool in the box.

I carry a small wedge on a cord all the time when dismantling. Just a habit I got into a few years ago. Useful, especially on windy days

I have a small plastic wedge with a hole drilled in for exactly that purpose. It hangs on the harness with a small felling lever.

Occasionally, usually have to make a new one because the last one is missing... For big wood typically

I've got three pocket wedges that I keep with me. One in the back of the cut and one on both sides beyond the COG makes it a lot easier to push the piece off.

Back