Crane Size

• Thread starter Sep
  • Start date
  • Replies 98
  • Views 9K
Carl isn't alone with his thinking with this... Yep, I've thought of the self erector cranes for tree work as well.

However, I have only visualized one of these used for multiple jobs in one day. Stay with me here. It would be ideal in a cul-de-sac. Say, you had 5 homes inside the working radius of the crane. All 5 of them are victims of E.A.B. (or some other destructive bug). So, you have 5 customers taken care of in one day.;)

Now that is dream'n. 8)

A slight derail, but a heavy lift helicopter would be a good purchase, There can't be that many around the east coast.

Back to self erecting cranes..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right here, I'm still weighing out what I want to do. We used cranes on almost 20 jobs this year, and made good money on all of them. We had alot more jobs that we could have hammered out with a crane. The question is if in this economy work is going to be busy enough that doing a large volume of work is going to happen?

(Looking at the Manitowoc 2892S)

The crane w/o cab weighs 22.4klbs, the telescopic jib is 1226lbs, and the cab is 575lbs. The 14' flat bed is 1260lbs.

The telescopic jib is good for a max of 5400lbs (25' radius, 145' tip height). the winch is rated for up to 8500lbs of line pull.

The chassis requirements require a 258" wheel base, 192" CA, 277" cab to end of frame. Minimum 52klb GVW, 18k up front and 34k in the rear with a minimum 8k/8.3k on the front/rear axles (w/o the crane)

147'9" tip height w/ telescopic jib, 690lbs @ 105' max radius.
820@ 90' max radius with the boom only (1080lbs with the jib swung)

Not a bad size for straight tree work.

onoz.gif

:lol:

So basically as I see it.. when it comes to cranes... SIZE DOES MATTER.. there I said it ... I know I know its expected and has been said before.. But somebody always does.. this time it was me.. There ya have it .. :lol::lol::lol:

(Looking at the Manitowoc 2892S)

The crane w/o cab weighs 22.4klbs, the telescopic jib is 1226lbs, and the cab is 575lbs. The 14' flat bed is 1260lbs.

The telescopic jib is good for a max of 5400lbs (25' radius, 145' tip height). the winch is rated for up to 8500lbs of line pull.

The chassis requirements require a 258" wheel base, 192" CA, 277" cab to end of frame. Minimum 52klb GVW, 18k up front and 34k in the rear with a minimum 8k/8.3k on the front/rear axles (w/o the crane)

147'9" tip height w/ telescopic jib, 690lbs @ 105' max radius.
820@ 90' max radius with the boom only (1080lbs with the jib swung)

Not a bad size for straight tree work.

How in the hell can you have a tip height of 147' at a max radius of 105'

One is it's max elevation, the other is it's max reach.

Max elevation is at 22.5' radius, and max radius is at 100 elevation.

your statement was 147' tip ht at 105' radius. That makes it seem like a long boom length. Even at 25' radius your still looking at a boom length over 155' to achieve a 147' tip ht.

I have been wondering this myself. My crane operator has a 40T boom crane. It seems to get the reach we need at 105'. So, I have been looking at 40T cranes for myself some day.

However, I think I would rather get a K-boom.8)

Going back to the original post, Sep was saying that he can't get in to a lot, or maybe, most jobs, with a larger crane. Is 18 tons sufficient he wonders? If he can get in close, I think that 18 tons will do most jobs for him.

Back